Diamond Impression Mat - Practice Required?

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 2:54am by iluvpeeks

mcaulir Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:14am
post #1 of 6

How difficult is it to do a diamond pattern on the side of the cake using an impression mat? Is it something I need to practise, or is it fairly straightforward?

Any other tips?

5 replies
Malakin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 6

On fondant, it's easy. Just don't press the last 1/2 inch into the cake so that you can match up the next impression. If you do the last 1/2 inch of the mat it will leave the diamond impressions you can't match up to the next set. BC definitely has to crust for a while or it sticks.

walterak Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for asking this!

Sassy74 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 6

Super easy. If your cake is covered in fondant, do it soon after applying your fondant so it's still soft and will take the impression easily. I let my buttercream cakes crust for about 45 min before doing the impression. You may need to lightly dust your mat with cornstarch/powdered sugar, then knock off the excess. And like Malakin said, be sure you don't press the last 1/2" or so into the cake, but lift off your mat, line up your pattern, and continue around. If you press the edges of the mat into the fondant, you'll have an ugly line. Also, start at the back of your cake because when you go all the way around the cake and finish up the pattern, it may not line up perfectly with where you began. HTH!

mcaulir Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 6

Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply!

iluvpeeks Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:54am
post #6 of 6

I'm still very new at this, and just a hobby baker. For my grandson's Christening I used an impression mat for the very first time. It was so easy to use. I did the sides of a cross cake, and the sides of an 8" round.
they were both buttercream. I also used it on fondant for my mothers birthday cake. It really looked great. Unfortunately, I am not able to upload the pics of the birthday cake because of the site problems, but you can see the pics of the cross cake and 8" round in my photos. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%