In General How Long For...

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 12:57pm by leily

JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 4

Do you mind to tell me about how long each of these things takes? I'm trying to create a timeline for making my friends wedding cake, but have never done a cake appropriately (waiting and such).

1. Thawing cake-approximately how long do you let your cakes sit out at room temp to thaw?

2. Buttercream to crust (in general)?

3. Cake filling (cream cheese frosting) to "settle" with the cakes and release all air/bulge?

They are picking the cake up Wednesday (Sept. 22). My plan is to bake tomorrow (Wednesday), freeze, torte, layer, let settle/thaw, then crumb coat (finish thawing if not thawed yet), allow to crust, final BC, apply fondant, then apply final decorations all by Wednesday evening, but when to do it all?

I want the cake to be as fresh tasting as possible. I know I'll do final decorations on Wednesday, but I don't know when to start doing all of the other things. Do I lay the cakes out and torte, layer, crumbcoat Monday night, then cover with BC and fondant Tuesday morning? I feel like that may be too early, but I'm afraid if I wait til Tuesday night that will not allow enough time to do everything before Wednesday evening.

I'm sorry my post is all over the place. Thanks so much for your help! I just want this to be perfect for my friends...they really deserve it.

3 replies
tesso Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:21am
post #2 of 4

you have it planned pretty well.

1. tort fill on monday
2. fondant tuesday and final decos too.

you dont need to wait until wed to do the final decos. I would have the entire cake finished tuesday night. give everything plenty of time to set and make sure decos are not going to collapse or fall off.

On another note. You can make the buttercream now, if it is a crusting one, the longer it sets the better it is. I usually dont color my BC until the day I need it.

You can also make your fondant now as well. wrap in saran wrap, and set on counter. just warm in microwave a few seconds and you are ready to go.

opps.. sorry forgot.. frozen cake into fridge to thaw there first, then set it out for an hour or two to get to room temp. Really cuts down on condensation.

good luck.

JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

Can I make a crusting cream cheese this early on? That's really what I'm using. I asked about buttercream because that's what I'll normally use. Also do either need to be refrigerated when made ahead or will that cause it to crust too much in the bowl?

leily Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGettinStarted

1. Thawing cake-approximately how long do you let your cakes sit out at room temp to thaw?

I take my cakes out of the freezer and let sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes before i start working with them. They are mostly thawed, but still chilled so they are firmer and easier for me to handle.

Quote:

2. Buttercream to crust (in general)?

If you're making a tiered cake usually by the time you're done icing the last tier then the first one is crusted. Even if i'm doing two tiered cakes it works this way for me.

Quote:

3. Cake filling (cream cheese frosting) to "settle" with the cakes and release all air/bulge?

Depends on the cream cheese filling your using. I use only the crusting cream cheese icing recipe here on CC and it is firm like my normal decorators buttercream. So I don't have any issues with letting it settle for more than an hour. Others would recommend to let the cake settle overnight. It's all a personal preference

Quote:

They are picking the cake up Wednesday (Sept. 22). My plan is to bake tomorrow (Wednesday), freeze, torte, layer, let settle/thaw, then crumb coat (finish thawing if not thawed yet), allow to crust, final BC, apply fondant, then apply final decorations all by Wednesday evening, but when to do it all?

I recommend leveling and torting your cake before you freeze it. This way you have one less step later on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%