Opinions Please, On Cricut

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm by Bela_Ann

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #61 of 103

Madge
I forgot to add that if you buy the cricut cake you do not have to buy a deep cut blade. However, if you want to cut cardstock for cupcake wrappers, you do need to purchase the deep cut blade, housing, and sticky mats. The deep cut blade and housing fit into the cricut cake machine, but the cricut cake blade and housing do not fit into the expression. Again, look it all up on Cutting Edge, and they show and discuss the whole thing.
Kathy

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #62 of 103

The Cricut Cake is not supposed to be use with paper. Sanitary reasons.

iluvpeeks Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #63 of 103

You are not using the same blade or mat. The paper is clean, right out of the package. Therefore, no sanitary questions.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #64 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

You are not using the same blade or mat. The paper is clean, right out of the package. Therefore, no sanitary questions.

Okay. We all do what we're comfortable with. =)

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #65 of 103

I love mine. Took a little practice, but didn't take me long to get the hang of it. Just haven't had any cakes lately or the time cakes, so not using it as much as I would like too. Love it!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #66 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Madge
I forgot to add that if you buy the cake you do not have to buy a deep cut blade. However, if you want to cut cardstock for cupcake wrappers, you do need to purchase the deep cut blade, housing, and sticky mats. The deep cut blade and housing fit into the cake machine, but the cake blade and housing do not fit into the expression. Again, look it all up on Cutting Edge, and they show and discuss the whole thing.
Kathy

Thanks so much, I will check out that site....thanks everyone....if I don't get it for birthday lol I will get it after myself now!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:23am
post #67 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

Does anyone know about cutting other materials with the Cake? If I want to cut paper, do I need to tape it to the mat, or do I just stick the sheet of paper in the machine??

Look on youtube for tons of tutorials. Yes, it can used with cookie dough, pie crust, tortillas, and certainly paper.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:26am
post #68 of 103

Oh! And do bid on one at eBay!

I saved several in my "watch" list first to see the price range people were winning them ($150 to $250) and vowed not to bid if it got to be more than $200. I ended up getting mine for $197, free shipping, and it arrived in less than a week. It seemed they were going for less in the early morning auctions.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm
post #69 of 103

The only thing on either machine that touches food is the blade and both are stainless steel so therefore are food safe. If youw want to check out the silhouette here is Linda's website (without the spaces) http: // www . deseret designs . com / custom . html I use it with Make The Cut software and no cartridges to buy. I print on gumpase with my edible image printer and the silhouette has the capability to cut out the printed image....something the cricut can not do. They now have a cricut image that has that capability but it is $500, compared to the silhouette for $250 (from Linda's site untill Oct. 1st). And the Cricut Image isn't "food safe" either. Most people aren't going to eat gumpase anyway so I don't see it as a problem. As I said before, it's only touched by the stainless steel blade so even if they do eat it it's not a problem. To each their own.

The problems people are having with cutting isn't the machines but the medium they are using and the way they are preparing it. If it isn't rolled thin enough and let set long enough it just wont work and some mediums are not suitable for this application.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #70 of 103

If you are going to use it just for cakes I would get the Cricut cake. icon_smile.gif I have them both so I use the expressions for paper an the other one for cakes.

madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #71 of 103

Is there any where that has the list of websites to learn how to use cricut and the other thing?

tiggy2 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:26am
post #72 of 103

If you purchase the silhouette from LInda McClure it comes with a DVD

madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:20am
post #73 of 103

Is it difficult to figure out how to hook up the scal to the cricut?

iluvpeeks Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:12am
post #74 of 103

Hi Madge
The SCAL program is also peaking my interest! The cartridges for the cricut can get very costly. I read about it once before on cc, and if you read back a few pages in this thread a few people talk about the ease of connecting the cricut to your computer. Also, you can go to cricut.com, and they have a demo on there for the cricut cake. Also, YouTube. If you look in my pics, the Hello Kitty Cake was the first cake I made, and it was with the cricut cake. I think it was Tiggy that made mention about people having problems with the cricut cake, and she said that the problem isn't necessarily the machine, but the medium you use. She's right about that. You also need to roll the gumpaste directly onto the mat, and very thin.
I hope that you aren't getting more confused on which machine to get.
Kathy

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:48am
post #75 of 103

Well, I got my Cricut cake today! I know a lot of ppl are not sure whether to buy it because of the cost...me too...but Michael's had it on for $249.99 so I went for it. Now just have to decide whether to get the "Make the Cut" program or the SCAL program. More research I guess!

madgeowens Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebee

I love our Cake. IF you find an ad on line you can print it and take it to Michaels or AC Moore. We have lots of cookie cutters, but what's nice is you can adjust the size of your shapes. Great for Varsity Letters. We also use Inkscape and Make the Cut software. Love both. Our Blue and gray wedding cake was done with the .

I just made a football jersey and had a terrible time trying to carve the letters, I sooooo wish I had it....of course I only do this as a hobby so I guess it would be silly for me. You girls are doing great, saw the article some time back in item....maybe I should come work for you girls and get it out of my system haha

iluvpeeks Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #77 of 103

Hi Madge I thought you were going to get one? Isn't your birthday right around the corner?
Kathy

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:51pm
post #78 of 103

I bought the Cricut Cake when it first came out. I have struggled to use it. I really can't stand the thought of having to deal with it, it seems to be soooo difficult. However - I have heard that if you just stick to it, then you learn how to deal with it and it becomes invaluable. I really hope to get to that point, because it was an expensive tool to sit in the cake closet untouched!!! I used it for some simple shapes and cuts and it worked well, but when I used it for a big project it was so difficult. I did get the project done (badge cake on my photos) but it took hours and hours. I still hold out hope, though!

srkmilklady Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #79 of 103

trishvanhoozer...are you using any of the computer programs (Make the cut or SCAL) with your cricut cake or just the cartidges? As I posted earlier in this thread, I just purchased a machine and still haven't opened the box. I have a big project coming up too with LOTS of lettering and a school logo and I'm thinking I better get started soon just in case I "don't get it" either. Another CC er on here has offered some help when I'm ready to get started...she uses the SCAL program and loves it. I'm hoping I will too!

trishvanhoozer Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:08pm
post #80 of 103

I am not using the programs, just the cartridges. I found the lettering to be frustrating and that was what took so long. I was talking to a cake shop supply owner over the weekend, and she suggested doing some research on freezing the gumpaste on the mats before cutting. I have been interested in learning more about these computer programs, but didn't want to pour more money into this thing! I paid full price for the machine, and bought the little kit of tools, extra mats, three cartridges, etc. I really thought I would love it from the get-go!

srkmilklady Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #81 of 103

I have seen a few videos on youtube showing how to use the machine, but the thing I'm hoping for is that the computer program is as good as what I hear because it will save a ton of money in cartridges. I'm not sure about the US, but up here in Canada the cartridges are between $90 and $120 a piece. For less than the cost of one cartridge, I should be able to do pretty much anything with the program....again, this is what I've heard and I'm really hoping it's true. (SCAL or Make the cut programs) I have a cake due in a couple of weeks with a lot of lettering, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed or I might end up being frustrated too having to cut everything out by hand!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #82 of 103

I LOVE IT! I got my Cricut maybe two weeks ago and it's amazing. There is a HUGE learning curve, so I can see how some people give up on it easily. It's hard to get it right because there are so many different variables - the thickness of the gumpaste, the pressure setting, the speed setting, etc. But once you get it your possibilities are endless, especially if you use of of the computer programs (like Sure Cuts a Lot). I just downloaded the free trial and can't wait to play with it!

srkmilklady Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:47pm
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

I LOVE IT! I got my maybe two weeks ago and it's amazing. There is a HUGE learning curve, so I can see how some people give up on it easily. It's hard to get it right because there are so many different variables - the thickness of the gumpaste, the pressure setting, the speed setting, etc. But once you get it your possibilities are endless, especially if you use of of the computer programs (like Sure Cuts a Lot). I just downloaded the free trial and can't wait to play with it!

Oh that makes me feel better hearing this...would love to hear how you make out with the SCAL program. I am really starting to feel nervous about all this. Another CCer has offered some help when I get into this and she too says using the program is amazing...so I hope you are both right!

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #84 of 103

I haven't used it (SCAL) yet, but it looks really cool. You can use free SVG files off the internet, you basically just drop the image you want to cut onto the screen (looks exactly like your Cricut cutting mat) and can rotate it, size it, etc. and then click the little button to cut it! What I'm really interested in is being able to convert a JPG or GIF to an SVG file. I had a friend ask about a baby shower cake and she wanted me to copy the flowers on a napkin. So I'm hoping I can convert the napkin JPG to an SVG and cut away!! How easy would that be? And I would save SO much time!

I'll let you know how it works out, I'm going to give it a try this weekend! Keep you posted! thumbs_up.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm
post #85 of 103

srkmilklady, the other cool thing about SCAL is that you can cut any font you have in your computer. You have the option of picking any font you already have from the drop down list. You can also download free fonts from the internet and use those as well. So you can totally customize your font to the type of cake you're doing.

Listen to me - SCAL should put me on their payroll!!

srkmilklady Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #86 of 103

yummy_in_my_tummy...I've sent you a pm regarding the svg files. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:44pm
post #87 of 103

If you roll the gum pastes thin enough (#8 on the KA pasta roller) and let it sit covered in a zip lock bag over night you will have great success.

srkmilklady Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:03pm
post #88 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If you roll the gum pastes thin enough (#8 on the KA pasta roller) and let it sit covered in a zip lock bag over night you will have great success.

But if I don't have a KA pasta roller...approx. how thin are we talking???
(The KA pasta roller is on my Christmas wish list.)

trishvanhoozer Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:05pm
post #89 of 103

FYI - I bought a hand cranked pasta roller (actually got it because I love to make pasta but I bought a second one for fondant/gumpaste) and it works wonderfully. I got it at Marshalls or Ross for $20.00. It is super simple to use and I use it all the time for bows and other little items. I will try this for the cricut. I would love to find anything to make it easier to use!

srkmilklady Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:42pm
post #90 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishvanhoozer

I have been interested in learning more about these computer programs, but didn't want to pour more money into this thing!

I understand about not wanting to spend more money...it can become quite costly. There is apparently a free SCAL trial Version if you think you might be interested in the program. That's what I'll be doing this weekend...trying both the program and my machine for the first time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%