Customer Sent More Then I Charged

Business By momma28 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm by JulieMN

momma28 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 13

I got an order from a friends mother in law for a half sheet german chocolate undecorated. This friend will be driving it to their family gathering a couple of hours away (she wanted my cake as opposed to a local bakery because of how wonderful everyone has always said they were icon_smile.gif. I did give her a discount but not a huge one. I got her check in the mail today and it was for more than I quoted her. With the check was a very nice note. In the note she quoted the prices for 1/2 sheet cakes at her usual bakery (I mean their whole darn price list with the 1/2 sheet highlighted) and then said "just so you'd know how grateful I am to get such a delicious bargain!"

WOW that doesnt happen every day. A customer telling me how underpriced I am LOL

12 replies
Laura102777 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 13

Don't you just LOVE customers like that??? icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:30am
post #3 of 13

WOW! that was VERY nice...sounds like you need to up your prices icon_wink.gif

ladyk333 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 13

That is so kind! I believe that there are lots of people out there who truly do appreciate the hard work and the gift of a beautifully tasting cake. Just so many have no idea what kind of time goes into it, and I know I get caught up assuming everyone is like that. It is good to have that kind of reminder! Well done!

1234me Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 13

Doesn't it feel great!!!! I have one customer who gave me a $70 tip on cupcakes and another who gave me a $50 tip on a $100 cake icon_smile.gif needless to say, I always make room for those customers on my books icon_smile.gif

Jayde Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 13

I love tips! I got a $120 tip on a bachelor party cake once. It was a friend of mine and I did a discount for him. When I got there all the guys were drunk and they shoved a wad of cash at me even though the cake had already been paid. They said I deserved it. icon_biggrin.gif

dorie67 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 13

It is always such a nice surprise when you get a tip, enjoy it! princess.gif

costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #8 of 13

That was nice of her! It's good when you find someone who appreciates what you do.

Ruth0209 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I love tips! I got a $120 tip on a bachelor party cake once. It was a friend of mine and I did a discount for him. When I got there all the guys were drunk and they shoved a wad of cash at me even though the cake had already been paid. They said I deserved it. icon_biggrin.gif

You gotta' love drunk men. And you didn't even have to take your clothes off!

I love it when I get tips for my cakes. The most I ever got was $100. This woman is a repeat customer who always tips me. I always make room on my calendar for her and she always gets more than she pays for on her cakes.

hsmomma Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 13

It's customers like that you will always want to go above and beyond for...enjoy!

Apti Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 13

What a refreshing change of post! Thank you! I'm a newbie and was beginning to think all professional bakers got nothing but grief from the customers. This gives a much nicer message about baking.

tirby Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

WOW! that was VERY nice...sounds like you need to up your prices icon_wink.gif

OH but when you do it because you love it. THAT makes up the difference! IMHO icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 13

How fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%