First 3D Carved Cake Help/tips??

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm by katies_cakes

katies_cakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 5

Im going to start my first 3D carved cake in the morning and im a little nervous! im hoping my CC friends can help with tips/point out anything i may have over looked? my main worry is covering it in fondant with it being an akward shape, should i still crumbcoat first? and do i dowel and card every 4-5" of cake or more/less? im excited to get started, but dont want it to be my first cake wreck! lol

thanks in advance, katie

4 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 5

Just curious what kind of cake you are making? Knowing what shape it is or at least the concept may make it easier for you to get advice icon_smile.gif

katies_cakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:42am
post #3 of 5

Sorry, its going to be a tall statue of a lady. i know, not the simplest design for my first 3D lol.

AbouttheCake Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:48am
post #4 of 5

Yes, the general rule of thumb is to dowel and card every 4 inches. Because of the height of the cake and it's odd shape, you might want to consider doing the fondant in vertical panels, rather than trying to cover it in one fall swoop. Also, yes, crumbcoat it first. Ice it again, using your hands to smooth it out, then cover. This will help create some of the shape of the cake and will allow you to roll your fondant super thin to help reduce the weight and gravitational desire for it to slide.

Hope this helps. Have fun with it!

katies_cakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replys. however im sorry to say its not going well! the shape is not at all what i wanted to achive. maybe im just having one of those bad cake days! or im not ment to carve cakes, i had the same problems with my first TT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%