Ahhh, Accidentally Used Bread Flour In Choc Wasc!

Decorating By divinecc Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 5:12am by divinecc

divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 11

Wow I am a moron, I clearly have my flour bins labeled but I was in a hurry and I just realized I used bread flour instead of AP! They are baking as I type icon_lol.gif , has anyone ever done this before? How do you think it will turn out? It's only on one layer I have two more to go, I will be freezing them....?

10 replies
divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 11

well the 6" just sank, I haven't even opened the oven door yet. icon_cry.gif

divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 11

ANYBODY? THE 8" LOOKS GREAT, SHOULD I REBAKE BECAUSE OF TEXTURE. ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE? icon_redface.gif

Ivy383 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry, I wish I could help. Maybe you can taste the one that sank for texture? detective.gif

dpdavis Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 11

I used self rising flour by accident in a pound cake recipe that didn't call for any leavening and it made a huge mess in my oven when it overflowed. The texture was very soft and wouldn't hold up from what I needed so I had to rebake. Bread flour may not affect it too much. Just try it and see when it cools and you trim it.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 11

Don't rebake the 8" until you taste it. I would level it first, and see how the texture is when the cut-off crown cools. You might have just ended up with something dense, like a pound cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone, I am going to cut the 6" and see how it is when cooled! Hopefully I won't need to redo, that's what I get for rushing! icon_rolleyes.gif

hbarberycakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #8 of 11

can i ask what you do differently to make the chocolate? i've only done the original and i would LOVE to know how to make it chocolate icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:17am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarberycakes

can i ask what you do differently to make the chocolate? i've only done the original and i would LOVE to know how to make it chocolate icon_smile.gif

Me, too.

And how did the cake turn out? I almost did that once, too, so now I keep the bread flour on a high shelf!

divinecc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:11am
post #10 of 11

The cake tasted fine to me! A little more dense but I like dense cakes so it works. The recipe is posted on CC somewhere, basically you use Dark Choc Fudge Cake Mix ( I use 1 box devils food and 1 box dark choc fudge) instead of white, 1/2 c veg oil instead of 1/4 c, 6 eggs instead of 8 whites, 1 tbs vanilla and 1 tbs instant coffee (dissolve in the water first) Use all other ingredients the same as the white WASC. It's really good, I love it! BTW, you can't taste the coffee in it once baked.

divinecc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:12am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

The cake tasted fine to me! A little more dense but I like dense cakes so it works. The recipe is posted on CC somewhere, basically you use Dark Choc Fudge Cake Mix ( I use 1 box devils food and 1 box dark choc fudge) instead of white, 1/2 c veg oil instead of 1/4 c, 6 eggs instead of 8 whites, 1 tbs vanilla and 1 tbs instant coffee (dissolve in the water first) Use all other ingredients the same as the white WASC. It's really good, I love it! BTW, you can't taste the coffee in it once baked.

Oh yeah, you DO NOT use almond extract icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%