Tiers With A Flower Layer In Between

Decorating By leta Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm by walterak

leta Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone separated the tiers for a flower layer in between?

This is for a 5 tiered square cake. The florist will provide the flowers. I was thinking of having a 2" space between layers for roses. The only square separator plates I've seen so far are from Wilton. My thinking is to use those and cut the tubes to 6" so they extend 2" above the top of the tier. Thx!

11 replies
CWR41 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

My thinking is to use those and cut the tubes to 6" so they extend 2" above the top of the tier.

Don't use the tubes called "plastic dowel rods"... make sure you get "hidden pillars". They come in 6" (9" also available if you get the replacement pillars for the globe pillar set).

mrswendel Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 12

I have one in my photos with a layer of gumpaste flowers in between the tiers. I used styrofoam dummies as the separator and inserted the wires into the styrofoam. Worked like a charm.

Kandykin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:49am
post #4 of 12

Mrswendel,
When you use styrofoam seperators, how do you dowel them? Have the Sf on a cake board and dowel under it or place the SF on the tier and dowel through the separator AND the cake? Hope I'm making some sense icon_redface.gif
TIA.

mrswendel Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #5 of 12

Yes...the dummy on a board and dowel under them, then dowel through the separator and the cake. I did the one in my pics in 2 sections, the bottom 2 tiers stacked with the dummy on top - doweled through all- and then the top 2 tiers and dummy doweled and stacked.

Kandykin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:40am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

Yes...the dummy on a board and dowel under them, then dowel through the separator and the cake. I did the one in my pics in 2 sections, the bottom 2 tiers stacked with the dummy on top - doweled through all- and then the top 2 tiers and dummy doweled and stacked.

Let me see if I got this right - your cake looks great be the way.

thumbs_up.gif

you dowel the bottom tier,stack cake, dowel the 2nd tier, stack dummy(on cake board) and then you dowel through dummy,2nd tier and first tier? Or are you refering to the center dowel that goes through all the tiers and dummy seperators at the very end?

Thank you mrswendel and OP I was just going to start a new post when I saw this.

leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:51am
post #7 of 12

If you use SPS, you just order the multipiece legs and use the 5" leg + 1, 2" extension. No cutting, safe, secure, easy, cheap. Just lay the flowers in the airspace created by the legs.

mrswendel Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 12

Kandykin - thanks for the compliment! Yes, you have it right.
First tier (bottom cake) dowel
Second tier (cake) dowel - stack these two.
Third tier Styrofoam dummy on a cake board.
**Centre dowel through these 3 tiers.
Fourth tier (cake) dowel
Fifth tier - styrofoam dummy on a cake board.
Sixth tier (cake)
**Centre dowel through the top tier, dummy, and cake tier into the bottom dummy at the venue when I set it up.
HTH!

luddroth Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 12

And SPS has square plates.

leta Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks, everyone! I'll get on it!

Kandykin Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:15am
post #11 of 12

Thank you mrswendel, that clears it up. icon_biggrin.gif

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 12

I actually have a picture in my album of a cake I did like this. I used the Wilton plates, the the 6" hidden pillar set by Wilton, fits perfectly, and worked AMAZINGLY!!! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%