Am I Doing This Right?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 10:14pm by ponderiffic

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if I was going about this the correct way. Usually when I make a cake, I bake a few batches of cake, cool it, level it and torte it with the Wilton Leveller.

BUT, after carving off a little of the top to get rid of the dome, I really only end up with 2 levels of 1" to 1.5" cake with a filler of about 1/4". So each tier ends up having a level of cake, then filling, then cake. I find alot of my cake gets wasted.

Am I doing this right? Should I be making the tier one more level of cake and filling?

How thick do you torte your cakes?

5 replies
debbief Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 6

I think most people put one more layer on the tier. So two 2" layers per tier.

I don't usually tort each layer. I just fill between each 2" layer. But that's only because it's easier for me that way. I'm not a very good torter icon_wink.gif

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

yes you are doing it right. My cakes dont have large bumps on them, they bake pretty flat...but I have two. I fill them. I will have 2 layers filled = 3 " or a bit more which will be a tier.

Herekittykitty Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

Mine are 4 layers. Start with two 2"(ish) rounds, then level and tort both.

So it goes:
Cake, fill, Cake, fill, Cake, fill, Cake. My layers are thinish though.

poohsmomma Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 6

I overfill my pans so the top of the sides of the baked cake reaches the top of the sides of the pan. The dome is above the edge. When I cut off the dome-usually before the cake even comes out of the pan-I have 2" layers.
The leftovers (dome) make great cake balls, or just taste great with ice cream.

ponderiffic Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 6

Have you tried the push down method? This has saved me from scraping a large amount from my cakes. Basically once the cake comes out of the oven I use a smaller cake pan and push down on it until its level. I know others use a tile that they simply set on top of the cake pan, but mine dont always bake above the rim so that wouldnt help me.

Also the large Wilton cake leveler is a pain in the butt. So I avoid using it as much as I can!

Quote by @%username% on %date%