How Do They Do This?

Decorating By stacey71 Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm by stacey71

stacey71 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 6

When looking at this cake

How do they do the border at the very bottom? It almost looks like a string of pearls. Is that tiny little fondant balls or do you think thats frosting (royal icing?) piped with a small circle tip?

Also, when looking at the cake board. Is that covered in fondant? And if so, do they cut a circle out of the middle where the cake will sit or does the cake sit right on top of the fondant?

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cinjam Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

I think the pearls are from a mold - something like this:

And, yes, I think the board is covered in fondant. When I cover a board in fondant, I cut out out the fondant where the bottom tier is going to sit using a cardboard round the same size as my base tier as a template.


icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

These pearls are from an oval mold. I love them. Some people cut out the hole the size of the cake. Some just cover the board.Either way is fine. Your cake is sitting on a cake board.

lynndy-lou Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6

Definately a mould

stacey71 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 6

You guys are great icon_smile.gif
Thanks so much for the info.


Quote by @%username% on %date%