Trying To Make Clouds

Decorating By qianascakes Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 1:51am by Mme_K

qianascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qianascakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 9

Im going to make a cake with clouds...I want to know if their are any tips to make them look as real as possible. They willl be all over the cake. Should I use BC or Fondant?

Thanks

8 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 9

Can you get your hands on cotton candy? That is always an interesting effect.

Here is what came up with a search for "Clouds" in the galleries. Lots of different types, fondant/gumpaste, Cotton Candy, BC.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=Clouds&album=-&search_user=&pageID=1

HTH.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 9

I'm not doing clouds right now but using cotton candy sounds like a great idea.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #4 of 9

If you use cotton candy, you have to make sure you live in an area of very low humidity and put the clouds on at the last minute

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:34am
post #5 of 9

I made some cool-looking 3d clouds by taking mini marshmallows, sticking them together with royal and then covering the cluster with a thin layer of fondant.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 9

Not sure of the exact effect you're going for, but I love using royal icing to pipe clouds onto cakes. I almost always have some made up, so it's convenient. I use a #5 tip and just pipe balls of RI close to one another, making them connect to form a cloud as large/small as I want. Then take a damp paintbrush and tamp down the lift-off point. They dry perfectly, and give a great 3D effect.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 9

Yes cotton candy works awesome but you cant get it around humidity or your effect will look horrible afterwards! I tried making some cake pops for Easter and made duckies. THey were yellow and fluffy and furry and looked awesome until I put them in the fridge. THe next day they were fizzled.
I suggest rolling fondant balls and sticking them together or taking a tool and making indents into the fondant to create your half circles around the edges. If your looking for something a little more one dimensional then find a picture in clip art and print it out. Cut it out on cardboard and use it as a template.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:49am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

Not sure of the exact effect you're going for, but I love using royal icing to pipe clouds onto cakes. I almost always have some made up, so it's convenient. I use a #5 tip and just pipe balls of RI close to one another, making them connect to form a cloud as large/small as I want. Then take a damp paintbrush and tamp down the lift-off point. They dry perfectly, and give a great 3D effect.

I've done the same thing with BC but I used a much bigger tip--#12. I kept mounding the BC up and used a wet brush to flatten the lift-up as well. The airplane pic in my gallery has an example. Doing another cake this week with the same effect.

Kristy

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:51am
post #9 of 9

The clouds on this cake are made of buttercream.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1407884
I just piped them on using a #4 or 5 tip. You can make them as big or as small as you want by adjusting the pressure on your bag.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%