Should I Say Something

Decorating By Paige_Pittman86 Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 11:26pm by Paige_Pittman86

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 17

I have 2 people wanting me to do a birthday cake for them One person asked me back July to make a cake for sept 13th mind you my cakes are all FREEEEEEEE because well we all know why anyways so when another friend asked me if i could do one for sept 19th i agreed because i would be long done with the other one Well 2 weeks ago the first girl tells me you know we changed the date right its the 18th im like great now i have a cake due the 18th and the 19th i wanted to cry!! besides i wanted to make my dad a birthday cake the 22nd I wanted to tell her NO NO NO I DID NOT NO BECAUSE YOU DIDNT TELL ME. THEN I WANTED TO BEAT HER OVER THE HEAD WITH MY PURSE but i didn't I just said okay..

16 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 17

I'd tell her ASAP so she can secure an order before it's too late.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 17

LOL, you'll do fine and wonder why you don't do 3 cakes every weekend. Good luck and congratulations on your restraint!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 17

You tell the girl that changed the date you can't make her cake anymore. It's not YOUR problem that SHE changed the date.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 17

Tell her you got home, checked your calendar, and you already have two cakes booked for that weekend, and that you're sorry you won't be able to make her cake.

You have to learn to say no sometimes icon_biggrin.gif It gets easier every time you do it.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige_Pittman86

my cakes are all FREEEEEEEE because well we all know why

Why are your cakes free?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 17

texas_rose

Quote:
Quote:

Tell her you got home, checked your calendar, and you already have two cakes booked for that weekend, and that you're sorry you won't be able to make her cake.

You have to learn to say no sometimes Very Happy It gets easier every time you do it.

But do this as quick as possible so she can make other arrangements. If you simply cant say no, like me, then i would bake all 3 cakes at once, make the decorations before hand, at least the ones you can like flowers and such, freeze the cakes and take them out according to when they are due, decorate, cry a little, say a couple of bad words (this is my routine when i do just one cake so i imagine you will be doing this for several in one week) finish and post the pics. you can do it!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 17

jasonkraft, her cakes are free because she bakes out of her home unlicensed and it's not legal to do that in her state.

I would find a way to do the cakes because you stated that your friend told you 2 weeks ago that she changed the date. If it were me, I would have told her immediately that I could not because of a prior commitment or at the very least when I got home and checked my calendar and noticed the other cake already on my calendar, I would have called her right then. Because you have allowed 2 weeks to pass and during those 2 weeks you knew that you were overbooked (if I'm wrong here then ignore this message and tell her no), you didn't tell her but instead stewed over the matter. She needs the cake really soon and could have used the additional 2 weeks to find another baker. I know she should have told you that she changed the date but you also shouldn't have waited 2 weeks to tell her you couldn't do it....I would do the cake and learn from mistake that I need to speak up quicker next time. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 17

Why not just bake them beforehand and freeze them? Since you didn't say no when you heard about the date change 2 weeks ago, you really should fulfill the order.

If you have to do last-minute decorations, perhaps you could scale back to a more basic design. I certainly wouldn't stress yourself out over cakes you're not even getting paid for.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 17

Well here is why I'm upset because I have to go outta town well outta town now right when u get back it's both cakes and my dads and yes I should have said something then but I didn't and the more I realize I have 2 cakes back to back the more I wanna scream and the fack I just got over food poisoning and I had to feel better intime to be out of town today to work out in the sun and heat then get home start baking and have them
Ready

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 17

Call NOW icon_lol.gif seriously, you have to do this for your sanity...don't let people step on your toes.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 17

I must say, I agree with etr2002...

I completely understand your aversion to the word, "no"... I have the same affliction. However, you have now allowed too much time to pass to renege on your commitment - even if you are doing it for free.

Had you called her right away and fessed up that you already had other obligations for the new date, she would have had time to make other arrangements. If you cancel on her now, you are the one who may deserve to get hit on the head with a purse... (and I say that in fun!)

At this point, take the advise of those who have said to bake, cry, freeze, cry, create, cry, decorate, cry and so on... icon_cry.gif

Good luck to you!!!
~diem

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 17

If you couldn't accommodate the date change, you should have told her as soon as she mentioned it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #14 of 17

Ah, I hadn't noticed that she told you two weeks ago. That makes it a lot harder to just call up and say no.

So you're going to have a busy weekend, because you love your dad and he deserves a cake too.

I had to learn how to say no. I just can't do everything for everyone, especially not for free. I am not running a cake charity. I am not saving the world one cake at a time. I'm not going to heat up my house and dirty my kitchen just because someone wants a cake and they don't want to pay Walmart for it. I have less friends than I did back when I was doling out free cakes every weekend, but I have more money and more time for my kids icon_biggrin.gif

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 17

Paige, sorry this is so stressful for you. I know this wedding cake is a freebee, but just start baking (and freezing) and you'll be able to get it all done. The word NO is hard for many of us to say: over time you'll learn to say it ...maybe even after this weekend icon_lol.gif

Also, please learn to use upper case letters and periods occasionally...your posts will be so much easier to read.

Good luck!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 17

You can totally do this!! You will probably find after the 22nd that you have learned SO much that will stand you in good stead in your caking future!

A simple, fairly inexpensive way to do the two cakes for the friends is to do 8" round package cakes. You can bake 4, 8" layers, freeze them. Prepare your BC and put in fridge. Then take out the layers you'll need and the BC the night before so they can defrost and be ready in the a.m. Do crumb coat, cover with fondant, and do simple package bows with BC border on bottom. You are done! They will think the cakes are gorgeous and think you took forever. Then you can get as fancy as you like for your dad--or, just do another package cake!

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 17

By the way I sorta meant should I have said no not say no now besides her husband called me today he was at wal Mart buying everything taking pics so he was sure to get the right thing so I guess I feel better about it atleast I don't have to buy anything I can't say D
The same for the other cake it's just kinda expected of me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%