Question About Tonedna Icing Method???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 12:42am by tonedna

Mikel79 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:44am
post #1 of 18

Hi Cakers!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am hoping someone reading this uses Tonedna method of icing a cake. I have watched her youtube video several times. I like how she ices her cake. My question is, how does she pull that extra icing off the top without measuring the lowest part of her cake first??

I currently use Sharon Z. method. Which is great as well. However, I cannot for the life of me get a straight edge. I ice past the top, but for some reason when I go to impress the top edge with my measurement, the template with my measurement is always to tall??

It baffles me that she takes the icing off the top with the scraper and does not pull any of her top icing away showing the cake??

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
Kellbella Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:50am
post #2 of 18

I think she just "eye-balls" it...I'll have to watch her video again but she is amazing!!

gatorcake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 18

Have only used the method once as have been using fondant lately. However it really was not that hard. When icing it you have a sense of how tall the cake. Just take a little at a time and you will set the edge without digging into the top of the cake.

cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 18

I, too, have tried Sharon Z's method of measuring and marking the lowest point of the cake top..........and no offense to Sharon at all (I have almost all of her dvd's!), but that is waaaay too fussy for me.

Edna is awesome, but even she says that it's takes a lot of practice! I sometimes ice a cake twice--just for the practice. And I'm learning to work quickly and make bold strokes with the spatula without obsessing over every imperfection. It actually get better results this way.

If getting a level cake top is difficult for you, practice it several times in a row without worrying too much about the outcome. Great looking buttercream will come from good technique, and good technique comes from practice. icon_smile.gif

Caking should be happy, so have fun with your cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 18

I use my laser level to project a level line onto the cake. then scrape off whatever is above the line.

Mikel79 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

I, too, have tried Sharon Z's method of measuring and marking the lowest point of the cake top..........and no offense to Sharon at all (I have almost all of her dvd's!), but that is waaaay too fussy for me.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one finding it hard to find this measurement!

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. I love Sharon to death!!!! I too almost have all of her DVDs!

Mikel79 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I use my laser level to project a level line onto the cake. then scrape off whatever is above the line.

Hi Leah!

Can you please explain how I would set a laser up to level my icing on my cakes??

Thanks,

Michael

cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 18

Michael, I just looked at your cakes. Dude, what are talking about???!!! icon_lol.gif They're beautiful....perfect BC application....level tops....even basket weave! Great job!

adamsmom Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 18

I use Tonedna's method and from what I can tell from her youtube video is that she eyeballs it. To be honest that is how I do it as well. I practice as much as I can and for me it gets better every time that I do it. Great idea about using the laser level Leah!

Mikel79 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

Michael, I just looked at your cakes. Dude, what are talking about???!!! icon_lol.gif They're beautiful....perfect BC application....level tops....even basket weave! Great job!

I appreciate it. But, I have to do elaborate borders to cover up my jacked up edges and top!

Thanks

=)

Kellbella Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Quote:

I appreciate it. But, I have to do elaborate borders to cover up my jacked up edges and top!

Thanks

=)

That's the beauty of cake decorating!!! We can easily cover up our mistakes thumbs_up.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 18

I like the laser level idea! I currently use an adjustable square. I can use it to measure the height of the cake, the distance of the cake board from the edge of the actual cake (before frosting) and I measure each layer as I build it (because I'm not in the Agbay club!)

Off to raid DH's toolbox of the laser level I know is out there!

Rosie2 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #13 of 18

Hmmmm, it don't matter how many videos I look, how many books I read, how many questions I ask... I still don't have sharp straight edges agghhhh icon_cry.gif
I know, I know, practice, practice, practice.

leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 18

You don't need directions to set up a laser level. Set the thing on a surface, and turn it on. Project a line onto the cake that's at a point above the actual surface of the cake, like close to the low point of the icing that's standing above the edge of the cake, Scrape.

cakesnglass Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 18

Hope this helps it's worked for me. I believe the key is the initial amount of frosting that one applies to the cake. If you apply it with a bag and coupler or pile it on top you must have at least 1/2 inch extra (top) so that when you bring the side icing up and over your edges on the sides that side icing is now over that 1/2" you place on the top. As you bring your spatula in towards the center of the cake you will be removing that excess from the sides and top at the same time. By having that excess on the top of the cake you can now achieve the sharp edge. And Viva paper towels finish the job. Icing and it's consistency are just as important as applying the right amount. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #16 of 18

I eyeball it!! To be quite honest it is a matter of practice. At the beginning you might feel it's hard because you are not used to doing it. However, the top of the cake it's already at the level the cake needs to go, so all you need is to level the edge of the cake with the rest of the top. So the top gives you a good guide already.

Why I do it like this? IS FAST!. I can ice a cake super fast!.. I dont have to measure I dont need any tools, I just move and the cake is finish fast. If you give a try, you will get used to it. I teach all my students to do it like this, and usually they get it. Of course I make them practice in a few cakes. Don't give up on a first try!

Edna icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I eyeball it!! To be quite honest it is a matter of practice. At the beginning you might feel it's hard because you are not used to doing it. However, the top of the cake it's already at the level the cake needs to go, so all you need is to level the edge of the cake with the rest of the top. So the top gives you a good guide already.

Why I do it like this? IS FAST!. I can ice a cake super fast!.. I dont have to measure I dont need any tools, I just move and the cake is finish fast. If you give a try, you will get used to it. I teach all my students to do it like this, and usually they get it. Of course I make them practice in a few cakes. Don't give up on a first try!

Edna icon_smile.gif

Thanks T!

Michael

tonedna Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #18 of 18

Anytime! Just have fun with it!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

Thanks T!

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%