Covering A Toothpick With Fondant?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 3:45am by CWR41

Shepsit Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:38am
post #1 of 15

Can anybody please tell me how can I cover a toothpick with fondant? It doesn't stick to it, and i do not have any glue to stick the fondant to the toothpick right now. Any suggestions?

14 replies
BannanaBrie Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:46am
post #2 of 15

Dip the toothpick in water. Shake off the excess, the should work.

Shepsit Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:50am
post #3 of 15

So I can wet the toothpick instead of using any glue? Well I did try it once but it didn't work icon_sad.gif Maybe i should try it again.

brincess_b Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:58am
post #4 of 15

why do you need to do this? might it be better to just roll a sausage of gumpaste and let it dry, will then be pretty solid.
you can make glue by disolving some fondant in hot water, maybe try that.
xx

Shepsit Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:05am
post #5 of 15

brincess_b, I will cut out heart shapes from gumpaste or fondant and stick them to the toothpick and then stick them to the top of the cake icon_lol.gif Thanks for the idea icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:11am
post #6 of 15

will the toothpick be visable then, or not? cause u could just stick the hearts to the stick using ri or chocolate. stick another on the back to hide the stick. or if you cut the hearts thick enoguh, jsut push the cocktail stick into the middle.
xx

Shepsit Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:40am
post #7 of 15

Well actually it's longer than a toothpick i just couldn't find it's name now icon_biggrin.gif So yes, they will be visible, that's why I don't want to make wooden parts to be visible.

CWR41 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 15

Instead of rolling fondant around the toothpick, roll a rope first and slide the toothpick inside the rope.

luvmysmoother Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 15

Or you could dip your toothpick almost completely in white chocolate and then stick the heart directly to it before it dries - then the toothpick will be mostly white and the heart can be attached at the same time. Then you might want to leave the tip of the toothpick uncovered so people will know it's a toothpick and not try to eat iticon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 15

other thoughts... could dip it in coloured white chocolate or ri to match/ compliment the hearts.
and maybe you mean skewer? we all know what your on about, lol icon_smile.gif
xx

cheatize Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:35am
post #11 of 15

If you have an extruder, fill it with fondant. Stick the skewer/toothpick into the extruder and extrude away. It will cover it in fondant.

CWR41 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

If you have an extruder, fill it with fondant. Stick the skewer/toothpick into the extruder and extrude away. It will cover it in fondant.

This is a great idea! It works with RI and BC in a pastry bag too!

Shepsit Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:38am
post #13 of 15

Wow guys! Those are all great ideas! unfortunately I saw all these last messages after I paint the skewers with red gel paste icon_biggrin.gif But I will use these ideas next time for sure, thank you thank you all icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

This is a great idea! It works with RI and BC in a pastry bag too!

I'm telling ya', I'm fondant snake impaired. Even with Playdough as a kid, I couldn't make it even for nothing. As an adult, same results. I thought having something solid inside would fix the problem, but nope! I got desperate one day and shoved a skewer into the extruder and I swear the heavens opened wide, the clouds parted, and the sun finally shined down uponeth my countertop. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:45am
post #15 of 15
Quote:

I'm telling ya', I'm fondant snake impaired. Even with Playdough as a kid, I couldn't make it even for nothing. As an adult, same results. I thought having something solid inside would fix the problem, but nope! I got desperate one day and shoved a skewer into the extruder and I swear the heavens opened wide, the clouds parted, and the sun finally shined down uponeth my countertop. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Hilarious! icon_lol.gif Glad you found a way to make it work for you.

I can't roll fondant around anything... it gets too loose and using "glue" is too sloppy for me. I discovered this technique about 25 years ago while covering spaghetti kitten whiskers with icing. It works great for making cattails too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%