Gumpaste Numbers And Stars

Decorating By jaimalina5277 Updated 24 Apr 2014 , 1:22pm by nancylee61

jaimalina5277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaimalina5277 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:54am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know how long in advance I need to make gum paste stars and numbers to put on a cake. I want to put a big 60 on the top too. I bought cookie cutters to cut them out.

My friend asked me to make her a cake and I was going to use gum paste stars on wire, I have never done this before.
Also can I just put the wire in the cake or do I need to put them in little straw, I read that on someones post.

Your help and suggestions would be awesome, thanks!!

11 replies
MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 12

I make my numbers and stars @ least 2 days before they are needed. The longer they have to dry the better. You can use coffee stir sticks they are not as big as a straw.
I have also just stuck my wire into the cake, the cake store I purchase from assured me they are food safe, but you are better off safe by using a stir stick or straw.

Katyscc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katyscc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 12

I just make stars for the first time last weekend and and found that the medium stars worked better on the wire than the large stars. Pretty easy to do. Good luck!!!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 12

The longer they sit out to dry the better. Especially if they are freestanding like your numbers 60 will be. But if you don't have a couple of days try adding in tylose. It will turn you fondant into a gumpaste like and harden quickly. I love using it to make my roses. The petals are not as fragile as gumpaste ones are either.

jaimalina5277 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDukes

I make my numbers and stars @ least 2 days before they are needed. The longer they have to dry the better. You can use coffee stir sticks they are not as big as a straw.
I have also just stuck my wire into the cake, the cake store I purchase from assured me they are food safe, but you are better off safe by using a stir stick or straw.

Hi MommaDukes,

Thank you so much that makes me feel better. I have 11 days till the party so I at least know I had time.

Did you make two stars and stick the wire in between? Did you use vanilla to get them to stick?

Also I noticed your number one was soo cute in the cake you did, did you just hand form that?

jaimalina5277 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

The longer they sit out to dry the better. Especially if they are freestanding like your numbers 60 will be. But if you don't have a couple of days try adding in tylose. It will turn you fondant into a gumpaste like and harden quickly. I love using it to make my roses. The petals are not as fragile as gumpaste ones are either.

Hi Auntginn,

Thanks for your repsonse.

I bought a small container of the gum paste because Satin Ice made it and I wanted to try it out so I am assuming I don't need to put tylose in that right? That's for when I am using fondant right? I never used tylose before...can you get that at a Michaels or Joanns?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 12

Pink Cake Box has a lot of number cakes for inspiration.

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/category/pastry-images/celebration-cakes

If you click on the photo and then on the READ MORE right under it when it opens, you can sometimes see them even bigger.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaimalina5277 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2078

I just make stars for the first time last weekend and and found that the medium stars worked better on the wire than the large stars. Pretty easy to do. Good luck!!!

Hi Kate2078,

A girl told me that the larger stars were heavier and harder to keep on the wire and I didn't even think about that until she said it and I was glad she did so I didn't waste time in making larger ones. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the response... I am glad you found it easy because I was worried.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 12

That's right Jaimalina, The tylose acts as an agent to harden the fondant. Gumpaste is fast drying/hardening so there is no need to add tylose.

Yes I believe you can get tylose at Michaels, have never seen it at Joann's though. But the Joann's closest to me is very limited.

jaimalina5277 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:15am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Some tutorial that might help you.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-fondant-icing-shooting-stars-for-cake-decorating-345840/

Your awesome, this is soo helpful, thank you!!

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 12

Can anyone tell me how to cut the numbers flat?? How thick do you have to roll the gumpaste? And freehand cut? I saw a few tutorials, but the numbers were curvy, and I wanted straighter numbers. 

Thanks,

Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%