Making A Bird's Nest On A Cake

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm by UpAt2am

SJEmom Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:12am
post #1 of 9

I am making a Sesame Street cake for my DS's 3rd birthday. I want to make a small bird's nest for Big Bird. I was thinking that Chow Mein noodles would be perfect. Wondering what would be best for sticking it together...marshmallow fluff (sort of rkt like) or chocolate? What would be easier to work with and stay better?

8 replies
angelwings1 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:16am
post #2 of 9

I would think chocolate would work great! Maybe that almond bark that you can buy at WalMart, so you don't use all of your more expensive chocolate on it. Have fun! icon_smile.gif

mrscunningham Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:05am
post #3 of 9

I would use RI. Tint it brown and use a very small tip and then swirl away, let dry ten minutes, swirl some more and keep repeating the swirl/dry process until it looks like a bird nest.

SugarFrosted Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:22am
post #4 of 9

We used to make a cookie/candy called Haystacks. Melt a small bag of chocolate chips and dump in a can of Chow Mein noodles. Stir until well coated. Then shape the choco-covered noodles over an upside down, saran-wrap covered bowl or container of the appropriate size. A slant sided bowl works better than one with straight sides. You'll have only a minute to shape them. Try to make them an even thickness over the bowl bottom and sides, thick or thin as you like, but thick enough not to break easily. Allow to cool & set completely. Carefully unmold the bowl.

You could also make mini-nests as treats, using jelly beans as eggs.

I use a similar technique at Christmas time with melted marshmallow, green food color, and cornflakes, to make Holly Jolly Christmas Wreaths. I use cinnamon red-hot candies for holly berries.

tesso Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:08am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

We used to make a cookie/candy called Haystacks. Melt a small bag of chocolate chips and dump in a can of Chow Mein noodles.

That is too funny.. I make the same thing, but use white chocolate then add peanuts to it. We call it kibbles and bits. icon_biggrin.gif

If you havent tried the white chocolate. you have go to. so good.

poohsmomma Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 9

I used butterscotch chips in my haystacks!

SJEmom Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks! I knew there was something out there that was what I was thinking about. I have never had/made haystacks before. Thinking I will go with the regular chocolate chips. I try to bake completely nut/peanut free since so many kids have allergies these days. I can use chocolate chips and it will be perfect. I only want to make a small one as an accent on my cake so the idea of making more small nests so that each child can get a "Big Bird's Nest" sounds really great! If I get ambitious I can pipe in "Radar", Big Bird's teddy bear.

SugarFrosted Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

We used to make a cookie/candy called Haystacks. Melt a small bag of chocolate chips and dump in a can of Chow Mein noodles.

That is too funny.. I make the same thing, but use white chocolate then add peanuts to it. We call it kibbles and bits. icon_biggrin.gif

If you havent tried the white chocolate. you have go to. so good.

I've used the white chocolate to dip Wheat-thins/peanut butter "sandwiches" in for that crunchy/sweet/salty taste we all love. Great fun for a cookie exchange.

Unfortunately, I am diabetic, so I don't indulge. I just "lust after" from afar all the goodies that everyone else is enjoying.

Edited to add: I just remembered. Your kibbles and bits reminds me of something Alton Brown makes called "White Trash"...white chocolate mixed with a combination of whatever breakfast cereals you have on hand, and nuts, if I remember correctly. You could probably add raisins or anything else to it as well. White chocolate on anything tastes good.

My shoes would probably taste good dipped in white chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

UpAt2am Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 9

i made a bird's nest recently. and here's how i did it...it was soooo easy.

i turned one of my kids' snack bowls upside down and covered it in saran wrap. then i melted chocolate and put in in a sandwhich bag. i snipped the tip and started drizzling it back and forth around the side of the bowl. then i covered the "top" (really the bottom of the nest) completely with chocolate. i stuck it in the fridge to harden. 5 minutes later i turned it right side up, pulled the bowl out and took the wrap off. voila! a nest! here's the pic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%