Event Planner Is Blowing Me Off! *rant

Lounge By step0nmi Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 3:57am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 3

and there's nothing I can do about it icon_mad.gif

In August I helped a local event planner because I was looking for experience and work in the event planning business. I knew her because I had made a cake for her wedding the year before (can't remember how we got on that). we didn't really stay in touch but when I graduated in May I thought of her because I really really needed something to do.

Well, low and behold she did need help icon_lol.gif she was having a baby just before that and her husband wasn't going to be able to help like always. So, we set a date to talk before the wedding because it was a day off coordination.

before the wedding, we talked and at the end of the converstaion she says "oh, btw, you WILL be getting paid for helping me; we'll work out the details later" thumbs_up.gif now i'm excited.

the day comes and sure enough...she TOTALLY needed me. The bride was OCD and had too many vendors coming in and then they had family issues. Plus, the EC needed to "pump" for the baby. (baby wasn't there though) I was practically running things at the hall while she was at the ceremony! She told me numerous times how she couldn't have done it without me and we were all happy it was over icon_lol.gif

how do I know she's blowing me off??? after the wedding I was going to do a bridal show with her. her daughter got sick just before the wedding and immediately after icon_rolleyes.gif in the hospital kind of thing. I totally sympathize even though I don't have kids. We don't do the bridal show and I call and leave messages, texts, write emails and still.......NOTHING! icon_mad.gif

I can't believe someone would do business like this! it just totally ticks me off that she told me on the phone and to my face that I was getting paid! especially since she knew i wasn't working. I mean, if she couldn't pay me after everything was said and done cuz something serious happened with her daughter or the bride didn't pay...then fine....JUST TELL ME! there has been nooo communication what-so-ever thumbsdown.gif

in the past week i have left a pretty snotty message on her phone and even sent her a contact form through her website icon_twisted.gif have you guys ever dealt with someone like this? what should I do next? just chalk it up to experience? icon_redface.gif

2 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:54am
post #2 of 3

If there is any legal recourse for you, you would have to talk to a lawyer. IF you still want to try and contact her, you could send a certified letter to her house. However, since there was never any formal agreement, written or verbal, of how much you were going to be paid, you may run into issues with that.

For future experience, always draft a contract.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #3 of 3

yea...i see all this now. but it was put forth as like "interning" for her icon_rolleyes.gif so yea...nothing i can do

I've kinda passed off on the money idea...now it's about her lack of communication and rudeness. not even a call to say "sorry, i can't pay you now".

I would never refer anyone to her...the worst communication ever icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%