Ideas For Lakers Cake

Decorating By jmr531 Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm by shelly-101

jmr531 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:57am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a Lakers/Kobe Bryant themed birthday cake for a friend. It's going to be a 8-in round cake covered in buttercream. I was thinking of decorating the cake with a few gumpaste basketballs on wires in the middle and a fondant jersey draped over the side. However, that just doesn't seem impressive/exciting enough. Does anyone have any better ideas on what to do and how to make it specifically geared towards the Lakers and Kobe?

Thanks!

8 replies
jmr531 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #3 of 9

Thanks shelly-101!

jlh Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:08am
post #4 of 9

I don't know if this is much help, but I saved it a while ago. I was impressed with the basketball tier. It's just a round, but it screams "basketball". No hassling with a sphere-shaped cake.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1762038

jmr531 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #5 of 9

jlh, that is an awesome cake! I'm going to pm the cake artist and ask her if she minds if I use her idea. I still have to work out my design, but I'm thinking the basketball cake with the Lakers jersey draped over it would be good. Then maybe I can have pendants on wires that spell out the birthday message. Thank you so much!

jlh Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:49am
post #6 of 9

Great. I hope it works out. The spheres look like a lot of work (and so intimidating). I thought this cake said it all, clean and simply. Good luck.

jlh Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:55am
post #7 of 9

I also love the gym-style floor boards on the Jazz cake. Nice touch. Pendants sound great too.

jmr531 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:01am
post #8 of 9

Wow, I hadn't noticed the gym-style floor boards on the Jazz cake. That looks great. I love this site...so many great ideas and so many generous people sharing them.

Shelly, how did you get the Jazz logo on the jersey? Is that an edible image?

Thank you both again!

shelly-101 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 9

yes it's an edible image i don't have a edible image printer so i just printed off the logo and took it to smiths and asked if they could just sell me the edible image i think it was like 6.00 bucks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%