Monogram Topper

Decorating By NewtoConfections Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 2:59am by auntginn

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #1 of 13

Hi All, I have a wedding cake order on 9/25 and the bride has asked for a monogram topper. How do I do this? Is there anyway to do this with Royal icing or something else?

12 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #2 of 13

Gumpaste is probably your best bet - it'll be stronger than RI.

NewtoConfections Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks Kimmers971 I have one last question is there any way to follow a template do I make some type of mold? I can't find any instructions online.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 13

You may also want to look at this web site http://www.topperswithglitz.com/. I saved this link from an add here on CC. I gues it depends on what the bride wants.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 13

Not sure how to make but I say MICHAEL's!!!

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 13

I made a "60" topper out of gumpaste for an anniversary. I printed off the font in the size I wanted and covered in wax paper. I rolled the gumpaste and shaped it over the template and made holes in the bottom for lollipop sticks (to push into the cake so they would stand upright), and let dry. Later, I attached swarovski crystals with royal icing (not edible!) and added luster dust to finish. When it was time to place on top of the cake, I used candy melts to adhere the lolipop sticks to the holes I had made in the bottom of the #'s. When dry, I stuck them in, slightly higher than the top of the cake, and used the cherry blossoms to cover the bit of stick poking up. It looked really nice, and was less expensive than ordering the toppers (I did this for my grandparents). It's a bit of work, so if you are selling this cake, I would definitely charge more for making a monogram topper. Otherwise, she can order one for you to place on top!!

Hope this helps!

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 13

I got a set of 3 mirror toppers from ebay then put diamantes on them, its on the hearts wedding cake in my pics

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you ladyk333!! I am making my newphews wedding cake and wanted to use a monogram cake topper. Unfortunately the ones I have seen would be way more than the cake itself. This sounds like the most beutiful idea yet.

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 13

HI again! Yes, I can relate! As I did this as a gift for my grandparents, I just could not afford to buy the fancy topper! With some creativity, a trip to Michael's and the font I liked (I just dragged the image off of the toppers with glitz website and resized it on my Microsoft Word - on her website, you can look at all the special fonts she uses), I was able to create a really lovely topper. The crystals were the most expensive part, but I used a couple of 40 and 50% off coupons!

Good luck with this - please message me if you have any questions or need any help. Also, post photos after!!

Kristyn

auntginn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you Kristyn, I'll definately post pics after. I have a program that allows me to resize and changes fonts to anysize that will fit my paper, so that part is easy for me.

I also am very close to the wholesale area in downtown Los Angeles where the gems are sold. My biggest problem is waiting on the bride. I've been asking her for a color swatch for weeks and can't seem to get it.

She describes the color as if it was created just for her. Couldn't just say Pink, blue, etc. Which probably will turn out that way.

Thanks again, sorry for rambling.

NewtoConfections Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 13

This helps a lot ladies yes I will definitely charge extra for this or she can buy her own. It's amazing what people come up with when they don't think they are going to have to pay for it.

auntginn Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 13

lol... Sure does. I finally got the sample yesterday. And as I stated it was to my eye a simple brown. Because its satin it has that shimmer.

I bought the crystals (smoked topaz) I found a large letter "C" in the floral mart out of styrofoam and was thinking about using it however after putter it on top of my cake pan (size icon_cool.gif I think this will be too large still. So will stick to the original plan.

auntginn Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:59am
post #13 of 13

Well, The wedding cake was a hit. Everyone pleased. I have a young niece aspiring to be a cake decorator and she was exstatic over it. The monogram did not turn out anything like I wanted, but as least it was up there.

I've added the pic to my photos. Tried to download here but can't for some reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%