Sculpting With Rkt

Decorating By Vanessa7 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 11:12am by Vanessa7

Vanessa7 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 5

I need to make a house and barn for two different cakes and would like to take a stab at RKT. Never used them before and am a little confused on how to cover them with fondant. Do I have to cover them with royal icing or can I cover them with buttercream and then fondant? Any suggestions or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks CCers!

4 replies
Malakin Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5

I always shape the RKT with buttered hands till smooth. I then cover with BC and then a layer of fondant.

kimbordeaux Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 5

After shaping RKT I fill in any big hole with modeling chocolate then cover with a thin layer of buttercream. When I cover with fondant I use thicker pieces than I would use to cover a cake with to hide the rough surface of RKT.

~Kim

poohsmomma Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 5

If the RKT sculpture is not going to be eaten, I like to crush up the cereal really fine before mixing it with the marshmallows. It packs more tightly, and is less bumpy, making a smoother surface to fondant. I also cover with buttercream or sometimes melted chocolate before putting on the fondant.

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:12am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help.

Poohsmomma, when you crush the rice crispies, do you do that before or after you measure them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%