Need Help With Fondant Soon!!!!

Baking By Macgirl1954 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 1:53am by mommynana

Macgirl1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Macgirl1954 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 34

HELP!!! I have made three batches of fondant, MMF, two different recipes. I am so frustrated! The fondant is ripping and falling apart. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have made several batches of both recipes in the past and have never had this problem. I have tried adding crisco and powdered sugar, neither help. I have a cake that needs to be done soon and can't seem to make the fondant work!!!

33 replies
TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 34

Oh man! I wish I could help. I'm not a fondant maven. But did you let it rest before you used it? Sounds like you're making batch after batch because of your time crunch, but I've seen on here many times that it should rest overnight. Otherwise maybe you're not kneading it enough.

Sorry I dont have more info for you icon_sad.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 34

That would be my question also, have you let it rest before you tried to use it? I would make it and put it in the fridge overnight, then use it in the morning. In all fairness, I use to make it, but now I buy it pre-made, so hopefully someone with more MMF experience will post. Good Luck!

Macgirl1954 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 34

I let the first batch rest over night. The other two I let rest at least 2 hours. At first it was sticking to everything even though I didn't use a lot of pressure when rolling out so I added powdered sugar. It didn't help and I added a lot of powdered sugar. The next batch was very hard to knead and kept splitting and tearing apart so I added crisco. It didn't help. The fondant appeared to have pin sized holes and when lifted, tore very easily. I don't know what to do.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 34

last wed.i made 3 batchs of fondant a flesh, black,and white. when i went to use them on fri. i used the flesh with no prob,the white with no prob. when i went to use the black i hade the hardest time i could`t roll it out. it would crack and brake apart, i don`t no what happened they were made all at the same time, so i throw it out made another batch let it sit for an hour and had no prob rolled it right out and used it. don`t no if it was the color but the replacedment i made in blue.

Macgirl1954 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:07am
post #6 of 34

I have kneaded the fondant a lot. Could there be a problem with the ingredients or the gel coloring? I used Walmart marshmallows and powdered sugar and wiltons royal blue gel for coloring.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:23am
post #7 of 34

When MMF is too sticky after resting it is usually, in my experience, due to too much water being added to the marshmallows OR too much gel colouring. If you used a lot of royal blue to get it nice and dark, that could be the culprit. I have ruined many a batch before finding out that that was the problem, here on CC. If it's too much water, adding ps will correct the problem. Adding too much gel colour, unfortunately cannot be corrected once it's done. The only thing that helped me was to keep putting it back in the microwave for a few seconds to help it bind as I used it. Now, I ALWAYS add my colour to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding the ps - that helps when using a lot of colour. Good luck & sorry for the rambling message.

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #8 of 34

it seams that i allways have the prob. when i use the wilton black, thats why i decided to do the whole thing over but in blue,

Macgirl1954 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:31am
post #9 of 34

I followed the recipes to the "T". I didn't add a lot of royal gel coloring to the fondant, and even if I did, the fondant that wasn't colored had the same results so I don't think the amount of gel was the problem. I am at a loss. I can't even blame the humidity because it's cool here now. I also tried the microwave at 5 second intervals for the fondant that was real hard and ripping apart. That didn't work either. I have searched this forum and have not been able to find an answer.

DetailsByDawn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:31am
post #10 of 34

I had it using Americolour too, but when you put in enough to get the colour you want right away, it will always wreck the fondant. Your blue should be quite a few shades lighter than what you need and black should only be a charcoal gray. If you colour straight to black, you're asking for trouble. Mommynana, I have waaaaaaaay more problems with anything Wilton, lol. I hear ya!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #11 of 34

Rather than waste any more time & ingredients, you could knead in some Wilton fondant--1/3 to 2/3 or 50/50--and you'll get a good tasting product that works well.

Just a thought.
Rae

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #12 of 34

Rather than waste any more time & ingredients, you could knead in some Wilton fondant--1/3 to 2/3 or 50/50--and you'll get a good tasting product that works well.

Just a thought.
Rae

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:43am
post #13 of 34

I had this exact same problem last week - made 2 batches that were completely cracked and dry - I finally realized that I was using 2 tsp of water rather than 2 tablespoons. For my last few batches I added in 2 1/2 tbsp. and the fondant turned out perfect. I have also found the more color I add, the drier it gets.

I haven't tried adding the color in the melted marshmallow - I'll have to try that this weekend!

DetailsByDawn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:46am
post #14 of 34

Macgirl, sorry, I'm getting your posts mixed up. You are having the bad tearing issues and pinholes? Sounds like an imbalance in the recipe - probably water. I have that issue on occasion as well - try putting it into the fridge to firm up a bit ( maybe an hour if you have time). Once out, microwave for 15-20 seconds (if it's a full batch, 2lbs ps), then knead for a couple of minutes or pop into your mixer with the dough hook. If it needs a few more seconds in the microwave, put it back in. Once it is back to the desired consistency, roll out. I use a thin layer of shortening on my counter (wiped on with a paper towel) and a bit of corstarch sprinkled on with a sifter over the top to roll out. Always works like a charm - I haven't thrown out a batch of MMF since I managed to figure this out! It's not your fault - sometimes we follow our recipe the EXACT same way every time, but marshmallows are not an exact science - sometimes they're dry, sometimes they're moist and sticky - this affects how much water is needed in your recipe. I make a lot of MMF and I sometimes get lumps of gelatin (A LOT) throughout it. I've learned to fix it and move on - I know it wasn't something i did. Good luck to you!

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #15 of 34

DetailsByDawn, i did add the black to the marshmallow but like u say it might have been too much

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #16 of 34

DetailsByDawn, i did add the black to the marshmellos but like u say it might have been too much

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:34am
post #17 of 34

How about adding some glycerin?

Macgirl1954 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:59am
post #18 of 34

Thank you everyone for your ideas. Tomorrow is another day, and I will try again taking everything you suggested into consideration. Stay tuned! icon_biggrin.gif

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #19 of 34

What recipe are you using? Have you tried glycerin?

akissej15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akissej15 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:21am
post #20 of 34

I just recently started working with MMF, so I'm no expert by no means..... But... I've got mine down to a science now & it turns out everytime! I only use brand name marshmellows & they have to be fresh. I tried using a bag I had already opened, & it turned out horribleicon_sad.gif When I need black MMF, I add cocoa powder 1st to make it chocolate & it helps not to use so much of the black coloring. I also use my dough hook on my mixer to give my hands a resticon_smile.gif Just "lube" the bowl and the hook with crisco 1st... Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #21 of 34

thanks akissej15, do u add the the cocoa to the marsmellows after they are melted?

Macgirl1954 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #22 of 34

Hello everyone.....I made another batch of fondant using fresh, name brand marshmallows and added the PS a little at a time as not to add too much and the fondant turned out beautiful!!!! Thanks again for all your ideas and support!!!

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm
post #23 of 34

YAY!!!!! Go you! icon_biggrin.gif

akissej15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akissej15 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #24 of 34

Looks like you've already made it, (Yay!), but yes, I add the cocoa the same time as the powdered sugar icon_biggrin.gif

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:41am
post #25 of 34

I have found that adding to much shortening to my hands or counter surface makes the fondant rip apart, it has no elasticity-weird! Also, I myself never have good results microwaving fondant even for just a few seconds as it makes the texture funky and I cannot seem to repair it. I agree on the coloring issue, definitely add color to the hot marshmallows rather than after the fondant is finished unless it is only a small amount you need to color.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:42am
post #26 of 34

For black and red, use a combination of powdered food color with gel food color - stir them into your melted MM's along with 2 tbls of glycerine. (I three 10oz bags of Wal Mart marshmallows, and two 2lb bags of Wal Mart PS - works better than Target brand). I don't like Jet Puff!

The powdered color deepens as it rests, and you will bring the color out more when kneading. Oh, I use a 9 gram jar per batch, with a big squirt of food color.

mommynana Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:31pm
post #27 of 34

macsmom, did u say 3 -10oz bags of marshmellows to 2lb of sugar?

DetailsByDawn Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:35pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

2 X 2lb bags. icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

2 X 2lb bags. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh gosh, thx Dawn - yes, two 2lb bags PS to three 10oz bags mini MM.

mommynana Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #30 of 34

ok thanks MacsMom i`ll try that, i`ve never used 3 bags of marshmellows

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%