Insurance Question.

Business By hockeymomnh Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm by leah_s

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 8

I am in NH and in the process of getting my Level 1 Homestead licence. I contacted my home insurance provider today to inquire about options for insuring my business.

The quote he gave me is for a one million dollar policy for about $500 dollars a year. This seams like a lot to me since as a level one homestead I can not make more than $5000 a year. So the insurance would be 10% of my potential revenue.

So I was wondering if anyone is willing to share what they are spending on insurance and if anyone has any suggestions for companies. Maybe what I need is a smaller policy? I was expecting to pay $200-$300 max.

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 8

You may be able to get a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover your business, but you probably will need a separate general liability/product liability policy. Some insurers have minimum thresholds for premiums, so if a policy has a premium of $200 and the insurer's minimum threshold is $500, you will be charged $500.

We pay $425 from Wells Fargo (through Hartford), but other people have reported $200-300 premiums with State Farm. Try shopping around, your business policy does not have to use the same insurer as your homeowner's policy.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 8

I am going through the same thing right now, I have a meeting with my insurance agent this Thursday. I will let you know what he quotes me!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 8

im wondering if you are a renter- how does that play into obtaining insurance?
im ?? moving to NH but will be renting- the person at DOH i talked to said you are able to sell cakes even if you are renter.
so it would be under renters insurance?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 8

I doubt there are riders available for renter's insurance policies to include coverage for a home business, you would probably need a separate business liability policy.

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

I don't know what the difference might be for renters. You should also look into the licensing requirements before you decide on a rental. For example, make sure you have either a dishwasher or a two basin sink. If there is a bathroom off the kitchen it has to have special hinges so that it closes automatically. There are a bunch of other things too.

As for my insurance, I am going to shop around for sure. I would love to find something a bit cheaper if possible.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 8

The quote I received yesterday from Farmers Insurance was 394.00 a yr. (1 million in coverage) I also received an additional quote for $600.00 a yr from another company. So it is kind of all around the board, I am going to try one more company but I think you should shop around a little before making a decision. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 8

State Farm has the best rates, and they have a special policies just for home or small bakeries. $250/year, $1million coverage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%