How Long?....

Decorating By NJMOMMIE Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 11:38am by LisaPeps

NJMOMMIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJMOMMIE Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 10

How long does fondant (just fondant, tightly sealed) last in the fridge?...

9 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think it should ever be stored in the fridge....? Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then put it in a ziploc bag, squeeze all the air out of it, then put it in a cool dark cupboard. It should last for months and months I believe.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 10

yes! zespri is right. don't put it in the freezer...
Wrapped in plastic it lasts pretty long.
just make sure you take the air out.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

I keep my unused fondant in the freezer, like I do my left over icing, etc....When I need some, I just pull it out, let it thaw, use what I need and then stick the rest back in the freezer!! Works everytime for me!! Now I have started using MMF but I have done it with Satin Ice before as well.

zespri Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 10

Oh good.....I have been wanting to find out about freezing fondant after someone commented she used her frozen fondant scraps to cover her boards. When it has thawed, do you have to do anything to bring it back to it's former glory? What about buttercream, just give it another beating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I keep my unused fondant in the freezer, like I do my left over icing, etc....When I need some, I just pull it out, let it thaw, use what I need and then stick the rest back in the freezer!! Works everytime for me!! Now I have started using MMF but I have done it with before as well.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 10

Fondant & butter cream both freeze (and thaw) just fine. I put my left-over butter cream in an air-tight container and pop it into the freezer. I take it out several hours before I want to use it, let it come to room temperature and give it a good beating and it's as good a new.

When you want to use the fondant, take out what you want, either let come to room temperature or pop in the microwave for a few seconds until soft, knead well and you are ready to go.

Don't freeze royal icing.

zespri Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 10

Awesome! Thanks for that langranny icon_smile.gif

There you go NJMommie, while I've never heard of anyone using the fridge, you can freeze, or keep in the cupboard. I've had some wrapped and ziploc'd for months and months now, it's still good. It's just leftover colours that I use to practice modelling with.

NJMOMMIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJMOMMIE Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:41am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

Awesome! Thanks for that langranny icon_smile.gif

There you go NJMommie, while I've never heard of anyone using the fridge, you can freeze, or keep in the cupboard. I've had some wrapped and ziploc'd for months and months now, it's still good. It's just leftover colours that I use to practice modelling with.

thx everyone! im making some more MMF you today freezing it forsure....thx again

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:03am
post #9 of 10

I freeze RI all the time, keeps it fresh. I don't freeze or refrigerate my fondant, I just keep it on the shelf tightly wrapped and it lasts a long time.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:38am
post #10 of 10

I've frozen RI before and it's come out fine. In my bear cake the RI scroll work was from frozen RI.

I've also frozen ganache, IMBC and cakes.

All have come out great, you just have to make sure they are well wrapped/bagged.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%