Hot/cold Spots - Rotating Cakes

Decorating By eve81 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 11:51am by Kimmers971

eve81 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 4

Would appreciate some advice from my fellow cake nuts. icon_redface.gif
my oven clearly has a hot or cold spot (not sure which). when i make cupcakes there's always one cupcake that fails to rise as beautifully as the rest and I usually chuck it. It's always the same position in the oven and as much as i've tried using different bun trays or liners it's always the same one that fails - think it goes up too fast and then collaspses?

So i've been wondering about my cakes. Surely this will affect them too and I've seen ppl mention turning the cakes round half way during baking, but I've also seen ppl say not to open oven door until minimum cooking do I do? For those with uneven heat in your oven, at what stage do you rotate the cake?
feedback appreciated icon_cool.gif

3 replies
UpAt2am Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 4

you're going to get a million different answers and people think their way is the best way. but for me, very simply, i rotate them when i remember to! icon_smile.gif i also put pans of every size in my oven at different times; i'm constantly opening and shutting the door. rotating one, pulling one out, putting another in. and every cake come out just as perfect as the next. it sounds to me like something is wrong with your oven if you have a "cold" spot. maybe check your warranty and then give a repaiman a call?! good luck!

eve81 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:42am
post #3 of 4
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

you're going to get a million different answers and people think their way is the best way.

oh well at least I got one icon_wink.gif

Thanks so much for that. After reading your response I'm really tempted to upgrade my oven. I've been going on at my dh for ages that i need a new oven but he keeps putting it off.
In the meantime I'll try turning the cake half way through baking time.
Thanks again thumbs_up.gif

Kimmers971 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #4 of 4

I have to rotate my pans about half way through my projected baking time, our oven is way off in temp and a new one is not in the budget. Its a PITA to remember but I try

Quote by @%username% on %date%