No Energy To Do My Sat. Cake

Decorating By kger Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 7

SIL's baby shower (I'm hosting) is on Saturday with a Winnie the Pooh theme. When I first planned this awhile ago, I had great aspirations of a multi-tiered cake with a 3d pooh on top and baby blocks spelling "malyshka" in Russian lettering (she's Russian).

I am 6 days away, well 5 days, really since it needs to be completed Friday night and I have no desire to even preheat an oven. I'm newly pg myself, so that's why all of my energy is zapped, but since I'm hosting, I'm making ALL of the food AND driving it 2 hours to their house. The thought of stressing over an elaborate cake just does nothing for me.

WWYD? Dumb down the cake and bring a chocolate fountain for the centerpiece of "ooohs and ahhhs", or rally some energy and get to work? I have a 3d pooh pan, so that's not too difficult, just time consuming. It's just the rest of it that I dread.

6 replies
cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 7

Depends on how much you talked it up to SIL. You don't want to let her down. And if you're anything like me, you'll be very pleased for mustering up the energy and giving her a great cake, but probably miffed at yourself if you do it half-a**ed. You can do it!!! Maybe DH can pitch in and help with some things??? Good luck!

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 7

Oh, and Congratulations!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 7

How about doing your 3-d Pooh cake in pastel colors, and simplifying the rest of the menu? You could make a platter of sandwiches on croissants, and vegies & dip and some crackers & cheese. When you explain that you're also expecting, everyone is going to understand!

In fact, if you're really not feeling well, you might want to consider making cupcakes with purchased Pooh toppers! Seriously, why stress yourself?

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 7

First off - Congratulations on your news. How exciting icon_smile.gif

your cakes are really good and I suspect your SIL is probably flattered and excited by what you're going to do for her shower....so.....if I were YOU I would try to muster the energy from somewhere to make the cake as special as you're able.
TIP from me! (because i've been there)- go get a breakfast tray or similar and line with baking paper and dust with cornflour, then take it with some coloured fondant and tools into the sitting room or whereever you go to relax and try to make as much of the toppers or accents that you can with your feet up, then when it starts to come together you might actually get a bit more excited about doing the cake.
Put it this way, its like having an essay or something to write and sitting with a blank page. I hate a blank page, but once you get going it gets easier? for me anyway.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

Congratulations!

Pooh tutorial just in case you get the energy back...

http://www.minjina-kuhinjica.com/fondam-i-gum-pasta/figurice-od-fondana/winnie-pooh-tutorijal/

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the responses. The food is going to be super easy anyway, but it will require a bit of prep, so I'm just whining about the cake. I tend to stay up very late completing them and I just can't stay up late these days. I can push it to 11:30pm probably, but I'm just so afraid it'll be 11pm and I'll have a complete mess and another 4 hours of work on my hands. I'm not going to be messing with fondant a whole lot.

Question: can I frost and freeze so I can work on it in stages? Maybe I'll work on the 3D pooh for 2 nights and stick him in the freezer and then I'll just have the base cake for Friday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%