Do You Think This Cake Was Carved Similar To Candle Carving?

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 11:49am by dreamacres

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

If anyone know how this was done, please let me know. It looks like it is serveral layers of different color fondant carved like you would a candle. My question is would you put maybe piping gel between the layers to get them to stick prior to carving? Am I way off base with this? It is really important for me to get this one. My Mom took my daughter to a flea market before she died and I wish to recreate this candle in cake. Thanks for your help
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1604744

4 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 5

So sorry for your loss.

Yes i would agree, similar to how they made the candles. but layering your fondant with several colours, rolling it somewhat together and then covering the cake with it. It does look to be quite thick, then cutting away the areas and peeling back.

dreamacres Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. Do you think if I roll the layers out of fondant they will separate when I pull them back?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 5

probably. i think you will need to stick the layers together with either a thin coat of shortening on the fondant or a misting of water, but use that very sparinly. if you get all your layers put together i will be fairly thick then continue rolling it to increase the size and to help the layers meld together. I will add, i have not done this im just thinking out loud how i would attempt to get it done. Did you PM the creator of the cake?

dreamacres Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:49am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, thanks, thanks, sweetcakes. I do not know who made it. Found it here on CC but it was pictures taken at the SD show and did not list cake artist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%