Which Gumpaste Tool Set - Ateco Or Wilton?

Decorating By still_learning Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm by BlakesCakes

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to get a set of gumpaste tools and I'm wondering if anyone has a preference between these two set. Are the sets worth it - I haven't had one and always seem to manage. I'm hoping the tools will make my life easier.

5 replies
southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 6

I have the wilton set b/c I got it half off at hobby lobby when they had a huge sale! They work well for me.

But I do have a few things from Ateco (cutters, etc.) and they're great...very high quality "professional grade" tools.

Guess it depends on how much you'll use them. I'm a hobby baker with a full time job....so I look for the deals! If I find something I really like and use often, I'll spring for the fancy model...

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, if you're a hobbyist the Wilton ones are good. I have them and use them regularly for gumpaste, fondant and modelling chocolate. I think the other brand is more professional, and probably more expensive.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 6

I have the Wilton set also and it is good except for the cutting wheel, lost the wheel on it the first time I used it and I was careful. It was just not put together well. Ateco makes great stuff but I haven't tried their tool kit. thumbs_up.gif

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

If you look closely at what those food network challenge competitors are using, you will find wilton tools used a lot, I own both Wilton & Ateco and I grab whatever is in my reach first.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

The Wilton and Ateco sets are very similar. Of course, you can get the Wilton set at Michael's using a coupon, so it can be much cheaper.

I use PME modeling tools almost exclusively. I find the feel and quality very superior to the Wilton set. They are more expensive, but you can also customize what tools you want or need.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%