Pan Size Question....pls Help!

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm by Babarooskie

Babarooskie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 18

I received an e-mail for a Baby Shower cake. The cake will be in baby blocks, spelling out the baby's name.

The cake will be for 40 people...and a total of 5 blocks.
What size pan will be sufficient??

17 replies
Babarooskie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 18

Anyone from the 17 views have suggestions???

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 18

Oh, Babarooskie... I came in a few times to check if anyone had chimed in. I have no experience so I can't help you.

All I could think of was that each block must serve 8 people, and I'm not sure how big the pieces should be for those specific people! I know it's not a wedding, so the pieces must be bigger. The other thing I thought about was that it's blocks, so they should be the same width and height. Then I could think no more! Sorry you're not getting answers right away!

Babarooskie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks imagenthatnj...

I guess I'll keep waiting...

flamingobaker Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 18

4 " blocks will give you 30 servings
(serving size 1.3" x 2" x 4" = 6 servings x 5 blocks = 30)

6" blocks will give you more than 60 servings.

So, you can either take on the hassle of carving 5" blocks to size, or add two 4" blocks and decorate to co ordinate with the name blocks.

HTH!

awatterson Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 18

Does it have to be blocks only, or could it be blocks on top of a cake?

Babarooskie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 18

It has to be blocks... I already tried that one! lol

Well, I told her the final price and she hasn't responded. Let's see if I end up making the cake at all!

awatterson Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 18

Let us know what happens! I have no clue the size of pans though. Because the smallest would be 6" and that would be 18 people each.

sweetcakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 18

if you made 4" square blocks, each serving 8 then you would have 40 servings in 5 blocks.

Bake a 8" square cake will give you 2 blocks, so bake it 3 times for 5 blocks. the extra block you can freeze, eat or make into cake balls.

Babarooskie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 18

Thank you for your help!!

I'm waiting to see what she says... I'll keep you posted icon_smile.gif

Babarooskie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 18

She wants fondant and all red velvet with vanilla buttercream filling. Also wants it delivered.

I priced it at $125 (including delivery).

Too much?

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 18

I hope you get an opinion on the price. I've heard they're hard to make. I don't think $125 is too much...but I'm in NY.

I wish you luck! Did your client already say she would pay the price? Or you haven't told her yet.

samples:

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baby-shower-block-cake-2007-08-12.htm

VickeyC Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

if you made 4" square blocks, each serving 8 then you would have 40 servings in 5 blocks.

Bake a 8" square cake will give you 2 blocks, so bake it 3 times for 5 blocks. the extra block you can freeze, eat or make into cake balls.

If you need 4" blocks, and you bake an 8" square, would that not give you a total of 4 blocks? icon_confused.gif You would have 2 - 4" blocks in the front and in the back, wouldn't you? But then again, I guess it would depend on how thick the cake is. If it is only 2" thick, then I can see having to stack the 1/4's to get a 4"X4" block, but if it is 4" thick, then you would get 4 blocks per 8" cake.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:54am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I hope you get an opinion on the price. I've heard they're hard to make. I don't think $125 is too much...but I'm in NY.

I wish you luck! Did your client already say she would pay the price? Or you haven't told her yet.

samples:

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baby-shower-block-cake-2007-08-12.htm

I know it's going to be challenging..that's why I priced it that amount. Without delivery it's $105...
Still no response icon_rolleyes.gif

huntlilbel Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #15 of 18

Im in NY as well... I dont think thats too much. It's all on what people want to spend. I am having a hard time with pricing myself, but it seems you have it just right icon_wink.gif
good luck, hope u get it cause I cant wait to see pictures! icon_biggrin.gif

atownsend Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:07am
post #16 of 18

Not too much at all in my opinion! I live in Oklahoma and I would charge at least $160 without delivery. That is 5* the the torting, frosting, covering in fondant, and decorating. It takes a lot of extra time even if they are small cakes. I think they got a great deal! icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:40am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by atownsend

Not too much at all in my opinion! I live in Oklahoma and I would charge at least $160 without delivery. That is 5* the the torting, frosting, covering in fondant, and decorating. It takes a lot of extra time even if they are small cakes. I think they got a great deal! icon_smile.gif

I agree. The price is fair. Sometimes it's harder to decorate a small cake than a bigger one.

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

I've pretty much based it (onbiously with all my calculations done).. fondant cake is $3.50/per person.

On top of that it's a small square cake...actually, 5 of them!
I think it's fair, but i don't think the potential client did. I still haven't heard back from her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%