....carve A Simple Cake?

Decorating By MommaBay Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm by catlharper

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 9

OK, I have a jersey cake coming up this week. I don't want it "boxy" so I want to round off all corners as if it's being worn almost. I know to do this I need to carve the cake.

Customer wants vanilla cake with vanilla butter cream and covering with white MMF. I was going to use this recipe from this site - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes.

Is that a good recipe? Any hints, tips, whatever? I know I should freeze the cake before carving. So fill it and freeze it? Then do a crumb coat?

This will be my first carved cake that I am decorating (i have "carved" one before but it was as-is and just had piped on decorations.

8 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 9

I usually use WASC. I haven't tried the one with pudding in it and I don't freeze mine. I usually bake one day and fill it then carve the next after it has settled. I do make my bc a little stiffer so it will hold together. I don't crumb coat until after I have carved it cause carving will just take it all off. Hope that helps some.

MommaBay Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 9

Malakin - I have been using WASC cake almost exclusively but I find it crumbles too much for my liking. I've had issues as is and I haven't carved nearly as much as I will need to. I wonder how our WASC can be so different. I use Kakeladi's is that the one you use?

Anyone else? This cake is quickly approaching!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 9

I find that freezing, or at least having a very cold cake, helps with the carving process.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 9

I bake, cool, level, torte and then freeze my cakes wrapped in their layers. Then when I go to use it I fill it then carve it then crumbcoat it while still frozen. Makes carving SO easy!

Cat

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 9

I have a question, Im watching this post, and I have another going ....I need a pokemon cake...NEVER DONE ONE...Never carved.

I read on here, to freeze the cake...how long would you freeze a cake to carve it? and how hard? sorry....but thanks

catlharper Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 9

I freeze overnight so it's nice and solid. Just seems to help. Cat

MommaBay Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 9

Cat - what recipe do YOU use? I don't want to screw this one up. It's for a radio personality so I know I'll get promoted on the air if it meets/beats her expectations. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 9

I'm a "doctored Duncan Hines" girl. I add vanilla (about a tsp for 2 boxes) and an extra egg per box and make sure I use 1/2 cup oil per box. Makes them a little denser. Then I used IndyDebi's buttercream recipe for crumbcoating and vanilla MMF for my fondant.

Good luck!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%