Has Anyone Every Felt Sad Or Unfulfilled After A Delivery?

Decorating By Motorhead Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm by debbief

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 11

i sometimes feel that way about a special cake-i've worked sooooo hard on it, stressed over it, fussed over it...then deliver it and i feel somewhat unfullfilled! maybe i needed more time to enjoy the final product before the cake was delivered? does anyone ever feel like this about a special cake? maybe i am too emotionally attached to the cake? i know it's just cake -in essence....but a little bit of me goes into the cake, it's made with love!! ha ha!! maybe i need some children?? thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 11

ohhh yes i've felt this way! Some cakes are just that great that you can't let them go. Most of the time these are cakes that I've made for family members because of the amount of detail and love that goes into the cake. A cake I just made for my grandmother's 70th birthday (wizard of oz in my photos) I didn't even want to cut it icon_sad.gif this is the first cake I haven't wanted to cut in a couple of years! after it was all said and done I was like "all that for nothin' icon_razz.gif" lol

if you're just starting out...these feelings will pass. you will get more use to passing off your cakes to others. just imagine they are loving and adoring the cake as you did while decorating it icon_rolleyes.gif

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 11

I too feel what I call "Cake Separation Anxiety". icon_cry.gif My whole family laughs at me over it.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

I too feel what I call "Cake Separation Anxiety". icon_cry.gif My whole family laughs at me over it.

Guilty icon_redface.gif I even call it the same thing icon_lol.gif

I'm pretty new and just a hobby baker. I spend A LOT of time and put a lot of TLC into my cakes. So by the time I have to give them up, I feel that separation anxiety. I don't always feel this way though. Sometimes, I'm just not happy with the results so I'm glad to have it out of my site icon_wink.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 11

I do too. Especially after I have spent 40 plus hours on one.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 11

What helps me overcome "cake separation anxiety" is taking photos of my cakes prior to delivery.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 11

I have the same problem with most of my cakes even if i take loads of photos! i struggle with it more if i have to deliver the cake very soon after its finished! and i have children, and still i struggle so i doubt that having children would help anyone lol!!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 11

(((HUGS))) Now go shove a BIG piece of cake in your mouth to make it all better!!!!! icon_razz.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 11

i always look at it as "i'm so happy to be done with it!!!" and when people ask, "does it pain you to watch people cut into your cakes?" i say "NO...i'm sick of looking at it." and we all have a good laugh. seriously tho, just think of how happy your cakes will make people and how appreciative they are to have a one-of-a-kind creation. that's what i think about and it makes the delivery the fun part!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 11

I'm in the minority, too. I don't feel anything but relief! I'm so happy it is over and am immediately ready and excited for the next project. Guess that for me, the joy is in the journey.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 11

Surprisingly, I have no problem with people cutting the cake. I'm not usually there when they do, but I cut both cakes I made for my grandkids' last birthdays and I was totally fine with it. I think because I'm equally interested to know if it tastes good.

And I agree, the pictures help. Sometimes the cakes actually look better in the picture then they did in person icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%