Striping Texture With Buttercream

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 3:51pm by kansaslaura

pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a cake in a few weeks that has what looks like stripe texture running down the sides of a buttercream cake. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or tips on how they do this. I was just planning on using my offset spatula to wipe on some of the buttercream to get the effect.

I tried attaching a picture to this post, but it doesn't seem to want to post. I also tried to search for this (both on here and using google), as I am sure it has already been discussed, but I wasn't exactly sure what the technique was called.

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a link to the picture that you can post?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

Unfortunately no. The bride just sent me a picture attached to an email. I even tried to find something similar in the galleries here and couldn't.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

This is the best I can find, but it the pic she sent, the grooves were deeper.

CWR41 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:10am
post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

I wasn't exactly sure what the technique was called.

Some call it iced "homestyle".

pinkpiggie78 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you CWR41. I found another thread that explained others various techniques and now I know the name of the technique!

kansaslaura Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 7

I like that!! And I agree it looks like a simple spatula swipe. I'm going to try that on the next cake I do for family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%