Gp Rose Topper

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 10:40am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to be working on some gumpaste roses soon and I wanted to know if there is a tutorial somewhere out there that shows how to make a topper. I would like to make one similar to these:

I need three toppers-the largest tier is going to be 14 inches (round). Does anyone have any ideas about how to construct one of these? Are the gp flowers stuck into a piece of Styrofoam? Ive looked around but I havent been able to find any info about how to make one. Thanks in advance for your help.

9 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 10

Start with a styrofoam half sphere glued onto a piece of foamcore (you don't want the styrofoam touching your cake). I cut pieces of tulle and wrap a wire around them, then stick them all ove rthe styrofoam ball before I start adding flowers. It takes more flowers to make a topper like that than you'd think...but since you have until December, you've got time.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks again Texas! I figured it took a lot of flowers. I know I will definitely need more for the larger tiers. I hope I can find a Styrofoam ball big enough for the largest one.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 10

I have another question about this topper...

If I wanted to add in some holly leaves, for example, how would I make them so they could be stuck into the Styrofoam? Do those get wires too? I'm assuming they do but I just wanted to make sure.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 10

When I make leaves, I slide an unwrapped wire into the center of the leaf, then thin the edges. The wire is straight, not bent like the wire in a rose cone. Don't pick it up by the wire until it's dried for a couple days or it will slip out.

I have this cutter for holly leaves (my mom's name is Holly so she always wants holly leaves icon_biggrin.gif) It comes with a veiner.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 10

Oh that's great! I like that it comes with a veiner, since I have no gumpaste tools!

I'm assuming I need to roll the gumpaste fairly thick to do the leaves right? So the wire has something to cling to?

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 10

Holly leaves are thicker than some others, so rolling the gumpaste thick should look fine. I don't have an exact measurement for how thick I roll it when I make leaves. I use a thinner gauge of wire for leaves than I do for flower stems, and hold the cutout between my finger and thumb while I stick the wire in, so I can be sure it's not poking out the front or the back.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 10

That sounds good. I'll order those cutters soon.

Thanks again for the tips!

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:37am
post #9 of 10

If you have a Joanns crafts in your area, they have the cutters there, and if you look around online you can find a coupon for 40 or 50 percent off.

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:40am
post #10 of 10

I do have a JoAnn's, but I haven't been there in a while.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%