Turn Table Problem

Lounge By jtcreativecakes Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 3:07am by BakingGirl

jtcreativecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtcreativecakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

I bought a new heavey duty turn table, I was excited to get it till I tryed to spin it, Its so stiff it wont move icon_surprised.gif I tryed to oil it like I have done with my old turn table but it still wont budge, my husband even tryed sanding it, still no luck, has anyone had a similar problem? Or have any suggestions? I cant return it so I need to come up with something lol....

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 9

I bought one of the metal Wilton ones recently, and it had a wobble. I took it back and tried the other three they had in the store. Two had wobbles, and the third wouldn't turn. At that point I got a refund and just stuck with my old plastic one.

jtcreativecakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 9

I had a bakery craft turn table that I loved, Thats where I ordered this new one from, Im using my plastic one now too lol, Im scared its not going to be able to handle the weight one of these days and leave my cake on the floor!!!!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:39am
post #4 of 9

So you can pull the table part off to grease it but when you put it back it won't spin? Is there anything inside that it's catching on?

I know it's too lake now but in the future, check them before you leave. I bought and Ateco plastic one that just didn't look right. I was trying to ice a cake and everything looked wonky. Finally I put a level on it and saw that it wasn't level. So my sweet DH took it back for me and sprung for the really nice, heavy duty turntable that spins so smoothly if you didn't see it you wouldn't know it was moving! Love that man!

jtcreativecakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 9

I ordered mine through a catalogeicon_sad.gif(( Which I will never so again since I cant check it out first. I didnt see anything catching but I will check again, I dont want to be stuck with a 60 dollar turntable that I cant use yuck lol

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcreativecakes

I ordered mine through a catalogeicon_sad.gif(( Which I will never so again since I cant check it out first. I didnt see anything catching but I will check again, I dont want to be stuck with a 60 dollar turntable that I cant use yuck lol

Does the catalog company have a no return policy? I'd be sending that bad boy right back - paying return shipping won't cost near $60! icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:48am
post #7 of 9

Have you tried using a silicone spray? Not sure if it's better/worse/same as oil, but it's what I used on my turntable. I sprayed it on the bearings & just spun it a bunch of times to work it in.

jtcreativecakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

Have you tried using a silicone spray? Not sure if it's better/worse/same as oil, but it's what I used on my turntable. I sprayed it on the bearings & just spun it a bunch of times to work it in.

Okay thanks I will give that a try...

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 9

I have a heavy duty Ateco turntable that I washed, I re-assembled it before it was completely dry so it rusted and got stuck. It took a lot of effort to get it apart again (hubby) but eventually we got it loose. I brushed off the rust and used WD-40 on it, and it has been working just fine since. I don't wash it in the sink anymore, just wipe it down, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%