So Disapointed... :o(

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm by jewels710

jewels710 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 13

I have been sooo excited to have my first legit, fully paid wedding cake order. Have had multiple consults with the couple, was given an 80% deposit right from the get go, was even expecting the last minute tool I ordered in the mail today...

...the groom came to me and said the bride to be is MIA. She took off last Wednesday (and even worse, even left her 3 kids including an infant).
Apparently the Bride to be has had a habit over the years of doing this but she normally returns in a day, I was told she has not done this since the baby was born. Anyhow, the Pastor caught wind and is refusing to marry them, aside from the fact that shes still gone. So the cake order is off.
Not by any means to sound selfish, I really feel for the hubby to be, but I was sooo excited. Hmpfh.

Sorry, just needed to whine.

12 replies
MessMaker Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 13

I guess It could be worse.
Your first legit wedding cake order could have been with a BRIDE-ZILLA!!!

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 13

Those poor little kids.. Sounds like she needs some serious help.

cakeville82 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 13

Good riddance for the hubby to be, she sounds like a whack job, let's hope her kids get taken away .

If it's a cool design make the cake on a dummy.

luvscakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 13

That is a bummer! You could always due a smaller version of what you were going to make and donate it to a charity. You'll get another order and I agree at least it wasn't a Bridzilla!! (I am assuming that in your contract you get to keep some of the funds already paid to you?) That too is a good thing since you already have spent both time and $$ investing in this cake.
BTW what part of MI are you in? New here and just trying to get cakey connections close to meicon_smile.gif

Becky1679 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 13

Similar situation happened to me in July. First wedding cake, and the bride called me on the Wednesday before the wedding. She came home from work - her man was gone along with all his stuff. No note, no explanation nothing! Still waiting for my first wedding cake order!

Becky1679 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 13

Similar situation happened to me in July. First wedding cake, and the bride called me on the Wednesday before the wedding. She came home from work - her man was gone along with all his stuff. No note, no explanation nothing! Still waiting for my first wedding cake order!

Motorhead Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 13

apparently this is a common problem??? i agree, you should make a smaller version of the cake, dummie or real. it would be great pratice as well. sometimes you need to get a design out of your system as well-so you don't feel like you've lost something.

cakesdivine Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 13

Sounds like she is an addict to me. I have experienced just this behavior from a loved one. It is so difficult for the family members who are left to wonder and fear for that person's safety and whereabouts. My heart and prayer go out to that guy and the kids.

erincc Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 13

How terrible for everyone involved!!!

PianoDiva Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 13

Jewels, that's awful! Better to have it happen now than on the day of the wedding, but it still stinks.

I was hired once to play piano for a wedding reception. When I arrived at the venue, the atmosphere was more like a funeral than a wedding. I learned from the catering manager that the bride never showed up to the church, the groom waited about an hour and a half, and gave up. He went ahead with the reception anyway because he figured it was already paid for and his guests deserved something for their long wait.

The bride did show up to the reception just before it ended--and she was drunker than a skunk. It was so sad; I felt so bad for him.

I do remember, though, that the cake was simply decorated (plain white buttercream, fresh red roses) and was chocolaty delicious.

Malakin Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 13

I too feel sorry for you, the children and the hubby to be. You have every right to be disapointed.

jewels710 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I certainly didn't mean to sound like "Me, Me, Me" I was just dissapointed from the loss of my first wedding cake order.
I have known the groom personally for about 4 years now and he & the kids deserve so much better. She's a fruitcake. I do feel so bad for them. Cakesdivine hit the nail on the head, she is an addict, but he thought she was done with that and I do hope she gets the help she needs. He is heartbroken.

On a side note, maybe I will do a dummy of the cake, or make one layer "real" just for the practice and to get it outta me. I was looking forward to playing with me new cake toys.

Thanks for letting me vent!

PS to Luvscakes: I'm north of the Detroit area!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%