White Cake Recipe Needed

Baking By VegasCakesbyAmanda Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 10:12pm by careylynn

VegasCakesbyAmanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VegasCakesbyAmanda Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:18am
post #1 of 5

I need a white cake recipe that is light, fluffy, and moist. I haven't found one that is moist yet. I've seen lots of recipes on here, but want to know what one is best. I take pride in my customers knowing that all my cakes are made from scratch, so no box based recipes please.

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 5

You are sooo in luck icon_smile.gif My goal this week was to perfect a white scratch cake that I can adapt into many variations. I based it on the "better white cake" recipe. This is a moist, stable, stackable, delicious cake. Here it is, start to finish!!

Scratch white vanilla wasc
Made 6 ½ cups batter

2 1/2 c. cake flour ( if you dont have cake flour, google the substitute with cornstarch)**
1 2/3 c. sugar
3 t baking powder (make sure its NON-ALUMINUM baking powder otherwise, you will have a horrible metallic aftertaste)
1 t salt
1 c. fat free vanilla creamer (needs to be fat-free, or you can use milk)
2/3 c. shortening (with trans fat, I use the walmart brand)**
1 c. sour cream
¾ T clear vanilla
5 egg whites

All ingredients should be room temp.

Cream shortening and sugar for about 10-15 minutes. Scrape bowl. Add egg whites slowly. Scrape bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, whisk well, set aside. In another separate bowl, combine creamer and sour cream. Alternate adding dry/ wet mixture, starting and ending with dry (dry, wet, dry, wet, dry). Scrape bowl. Mix another 30-60 secs.

350*

For 6 inch pan (wax paper on bottom and sides), flower nail in center, 2 1/2 cups of batter. Bang a couple times to get rid of air pockets in batter. Baked for 45 mins (electric oven). Let cool for 10 mins, take out of pan. Cool completely and either wrap in saran wrap and leave out, or freeze up to 3 months.

**Do not sub cake flour with whole wheat, pastry flour, or straight all-purpose
**Do not use crisco

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 5

Careylyn, what's the crumb like on your white cake? I've been experimenting a lot with white cake recipes too. icon_biggrin.gif

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

Teenycakes, it is a fine crumb. Very moist and not dense at all. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%