So My Nephew Is Getting Into Cake Decor. What To Buy Him?

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 2:48am by Vanaya

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:41am
post #1 of 10

So my nephew is getting into cake decorating. His birthday is coming up, and I thought I'd send him some stuff from Global Sugar Art. I don't think he has many tools or any books, but I believe he's got fondant. He called and wanted to make my apple cake.

What would be some good stuff to get him for starting out? What books?

Thanks!

9 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:47am
post #2 of 10

I would get him some classes!!! I think that would be cool. Find out what places in his area offer them, how much, send him the money so he can arrange a time that suits his schedule. icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with Tesso. Classes would be great.

As for books, I love the Sculpey Clay modeling line. They are great for learning how to model fondant.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 10

Get him a cake tip kit. Wilton has some of those carrying cases that come with tools inside. A gift certificate for classes would be nice. Have him explore youtube for very useful videos. It's great that he is interested in this art. So many kids are into video games and want nothing to do with hands on crafts. My 8 year old son can make a gumpaste rose thanks to my Nicholas Lodge DVDs. Keep encouraging him.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 10

Give him this website. Then give him a gift card at your favorite cake supply store.

Does he want to decorate or just learn to bake cakes?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 10

How about an assortment of good gel colors, piping bags, bubble tea straws, cake circles...those little neccesities that you might not know you need until you need them icon_lol.gif.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 10

A treadmill, so he can eat all the cake he wants.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with Elcee, get him some of the basic tools. You could make up a little hamper - to add on to the above I would also suggest fondant smoothers, balling tools etc some cookie cutters (circles/squares) and a personalised apron.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #9 of 10

A really good turntable.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 10

Books and Classes are a great place to start, or a goody basket filled with your favorite decorating tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%