How Many Wedding Servings To Recommend

Decorating By SugarKissesCakery Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 5:03am by KJ62798

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 5

A while back I read something in one of the threads that gave a guide to the number of wedding servings to recommend. It calculated a percentage you could reduce the servings if alcohol was served at the reception, etc. I'm thinking it possibly came from Indydebi??? Anyone know what I'm talking about.

This past weekend, I did my second wedding cake for a family member so I was at the wedding. (Pic in my gallery.) It was so fun to sit near the cake table and hear two women arguing about whether the cake was "real" or not. I received many compliments on the flavor (WASC) but there was tons of cake left. The reception had 200 people so that the number of servings I made. There was a 12" tier leftover. After the cake was cut, it was set out on a table at the back of the hall without any announcement. I felt bad about how much cake was left but I know it was delicious.

Thoughts?

4 replies
KristyDi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyDi Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 5

I'll leave your question to others since I don't know. I just wanted to commiserate. I made the cake for my brothers wedding in Aug. There was all but 4 servings left of the bottom 10" layer. I hated that it went to waste, but it was yummy and looked decent. (it was my 1st cake since girl scout baking contests around the 3rd grade)

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #3 of 5

I'm pretty sure that the formula was 60% of the YES rsvp's not the number invited.

Kristy

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:38am
post #4 of 5

That's the number I use. I also suggest that the cake be cut and plated close to the beginning of the reception. When they wait until the end lots of people have gone home or are just too full of other stuff to even want a bite. Doing all the ceremonial stuff earlier then just frees the couple up to enjoy their guests without worrying about "what's next".

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:03am
post #5 of 5

I can't remember if it was IndyDebi or Leah_S that recc'd doing the ceremonial cut at the start of dinner so that the cake could be cut & plated while people eat and then actually served as the dessert it is intended to be.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%