Cricut Cake Tips

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm by amyoungbl00d5

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone, my sweet hubby just bought me a cricut cake. I have never used one or even seen one being used. So I will read the directions carefully..but does anyone have any tips on how to use it. I am planning on rolling the fondant out myself instead of buying the sheets. Anyway if you have experience please let me know if there is anything I should know before I try this thing out. THanks.

3 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 4

I absolutely love my cricut cake!! But it takes a lot of practice and patience. There are about 100 topics on here already so I am going to send to the most popular one first. It is long, but if you read through it, you should have a million questions answered for you. Good luck, have fun, and if you need help - just yell! icon_lol.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678490-success.html+cricut+pic+tips

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 4

Things I've found that have worked for me...

roll the fondant out thin so that you can see the lines of the mat through it. let it dry for about 15 minutes before cutting. I use satin ice, and it cuts really well.
clean your blade often.
if you'd like to use extra mats, get some flexible cutting boards/mats from the dollar store. there are 2 in a package for $1.00. always nice to save a few bucks! icon_smile.gif
take the excess fondant off after cutting and let the letters, etc. sit on the mat in the fridge to firm up a bit, then remove with an artists palette knife. it's thinner than the cricut tools, I've found.
be patient... it may take several cuts to find which pressure and speed work best for you.

Good luck!

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Ladies!!! That is awesome advice! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%