How Do You Stencil On Buttercream?

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 6:47pm by Price

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

Do you have to let it crust then freeze it? I have no idea...Help please- thank you.

5 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 6

I allow my cakes to crust a little to get them smooth, either using the Viva paper towel method or Melvira's Paintroller method, then I freeze them to have a firmer surface to stencil on. I stencil on BC covered cakes with BC, not RI. So far, I haven't stenciled a fondant cake with RI, no one has asked me for one. HTH
Hamsquad

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 6

TY

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 6

I did this before and I had such a hard time!!! that is until I changed over to Indy's BC recipe, its easy to use, taste fantastic, and crust like no other Ive tried.

I iced the cake, let it dry for like 15mins...and then I used the same bc, but only thinner and stenciled. It was so easy...lol

Of course Im new and it was my first stenciling...I think I can do better now. My cake is in my photos, its the Sweet 16, Quinc. cake and one that says Happy birthday. Both BC.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 6

Very carefully icon_lol.gif

The only way I could get it to work was too freeze the cake for several hours. It didn't work so well in the heat of summer because condensation kept developing on the surface. So no more stenciling for me until October!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 6

I allow my icing to crust. It helps to chill the cake to make the icing more firm. By chilling it gives you a firmer surface to work with and you won't mark it as easily.

I use Sugarshack's icing recipe. I thin the icing I'm using for stenciling, more than what I use for icing the cake. I have a small palette knife that I use to apply the thinned icing. If you go to Sugarshack's website, she used to have the kind I'm talking about for sale for around $9.00. I haven't checked her site lately to see if she still has them or not. I use mine for just about every cake I make, so I figure the investment in that little tool was well worth it!

Hold the stencil gently against the side of your cake, making sure not to push on the edges of the stencil. If you do you will end up with a line mark on the side of you cake from the edge of the stencil. Using the little palette knife ice over the design on your stencil. Scrape off any excess icing and carefully pull the stencil away. Line up the stencil with the pattern you have just made on you cake and repeat. It gives a beautiful effect.

The cakes I have stenciled are some of my favorites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%