Is Modeling Chocolate Supposed To Be 'greasy'??

Decorating By DamarisC Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 6:56pm by BlakesCakes

DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 2

I have tried to make Modeling cholocalte a couple of times, and it seems that it always feels 'greasy' when i start to work with it, is this normal? or am i not making my Modeling Cholocate right?
Oh and i am trying to use White chocolate. I have made it with candy melts/clay/wafers/buttons (whatever you call them) and from bakers bar white chocolate.
Thanks!

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 2

White chocolate/candy melts/summer coating melts well below body temp. When you handle the modeling chocolate, it begins to melt and the oils come to the surface.

I squeeze out a ton of oil when I make my modeling chocolate that will be used for 3-D items like flowers and figures. After sqeezing out the fat, I let it rest. It sets up pretty hard, but a 10 second stint in the microwave makes it right. As I work, I set things aside as they get greasy, do something else, and then go back to the original piece.

When making modeling chocolate to cover a cake, make a bow, etc., I don't squeeze out the oils. I try to handle the chocolate very little and let my pasta machine do the "kneading". This leads to a nice pliable, easily cut product.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%