What Do You Use To Cut Fondant?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 2:51am by 4realLaLa

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have a tough time getting clean and even edges when I cut my fondant and gumpaste into shapes/strips etc. I usually use my cutting/quilting/embossing tool (looks like a mini pizza wheel) or an pizza wheel. I have looked for an exacto knife that will work (the kind that they use on the cake decorating shows) but can't find one!
What does everyone else use?

My other challenge is that I roll on a silicone mat and you cant' really cut on that. I want to know where I can find one of those green cutting mats I've seen used on you tube videos? And what they are called??

TIA!

6 replies
Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 7

I've always used the pizza cutter, I am just a newbie though and use the Wilton rolling mat to roll it out on.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 7

I cut with a small sharp knife that has a point; Michael's sells exacto knives but they're behind a cage (like the spray paints) I just haven't gotten one yet. I get clean cuts by rolling my fondant/gumpaste very thin and let rest for about 5-15 minutes before cutting, I cut it out on this metal bullentin board with clear plastic I got from a fabric store over it; I don't have to press down hard and I really don't get any score marks this way.

I also use a pizza cutter when doing zebra stripes and long strips. I'm about to use a 40% coupon for the Wilton cutter embosser.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

Walmart sells exacto knives too, in the craft aisle.

I like to use a small rotary cutter for curves, a baker's blade for straight lines, kitchen shears to trim excess from the bottom edge of cakes.

I use those flexible cutting mats that they sell near the cutting boards. Nothing much sticks to them and they're cheap, so not too bad to replace when they get too cut up to use. The ones from Ikea are too soft to last very long. I have an oversized one I got at Hobby Lobby in the kids craft aisle, for things that don't fit on a regular size cutting mat.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 7

I also use a combination of things for cutting. If cutting long strips I normally use a small pizza cutter. For cutting smaller irregular shaped items, I use an exacto knife. I change the blade often to make sure it is always nice and sharp. I also have a small exacto knife that fits around my finger. It's great for precise cuts. I found it in the scrapbooking section of AC Moore, but I'm sure they probably have them at Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

I have small pieces of Corian from when I had my counters installed. I use them to cut on when cutting smaller fondant pieces. I also buy the mats from Walmart in the cutting board section. They come 3 in a pack and are inexpensive, so it's not a big deal when it gets marked up to throw it away and get a new one.

If the "green mat" you are talking about is the one you see being used for modeling fondant, I wouldn't get one for cutting on. For one thing they are not cheap. If you use the green board for cutting you will get cut marks in it and it will not be as nice for giving you the smooth fondant you will want.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 7

Pizza cutter gives the cleanest edges for me.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 7

I use my handy dandy pizza cutter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%