Wedding Cake Pick Up Three Days Before Wedding???

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 4:04pm by jessi01

jessi01 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 10

What is the best way to pack a cake 8,6,4 to be picked up on wednesday for a wedding on saturday. The cake will have to travel about three hours to the beach.

9 replies
yummy Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 10

Make sure you use the sps system.

If your covering the cake in fondant, use ganache as a crumbcoat ( don't forget your stiff dam to keep slippery filling in and let cake settle overnight or at least 3 hrs. with some weight on top; the ganache crumbcoat will prevent bulging) and let set up over night before apply fondant.

Brush with thinned apricot perserves to make fondant stick. Place a non skid mat(s) under the cake box and place on a flat surface in car (hopefully it's a van or suv); that cake won't move!

ETA
The ganache and fondant will keep the cake fresh and moist for the three days it will sit around.

jessi01 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 10

thanks.... but they want buttercream and I don't have the sps system.. don't you need to order that online? I don't have time to wait for that.. I usually use bubble tea straws and a center dowel.... will that work?
also I do use ganache under fondant but would that work under buttercream or should I consider talking them into fondant for the sake of stability (they are friends)

kellikrause Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 10

I think if the cake is sealed, with buttercream or fondant, it will be fine for 3 days.

stsapph Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 10

For a three day wait, I would definitely suggest the fondant. I'm not sure about the straws for that length of travel, but I haven't had any problem with short drives, no more than an hour. Hopefully some other people can chime in and help you out.

dm321 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 10

Since they are friends... I would almost suggest that the cake remain unstacked and in the fridge for the three days. I'd also suggest that they travel to the beach with it that way. Show them how to insert & cut the bubble-tee straws and center dowel. Then once they arrive at the beach, they can set it up there.

I realize it may not be ideal to have someone else stack it, but it really is in your best interest. The thought of a tiered wedding cake sitting around in someone elses' care for several days just sounds like a nightmare to me. So much could happen... Most people don't realize how fragile these cakes are. I just can't see a non-caker really taking the proper care needed for a stacked cake.

If you do choose to stack it for them, I'd make sure they know it's their cake from that point on, (including the transportation to the beach). I'd hate to see them blame you for something happening to it after it's been out of your care for three whole days... I know they are friends, but we've all read some very strange things on this site about people doing favors for friends and it backfiring on them...

Good luck!
~diem

dm321 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 10

oh, and by the way - Jessi01 - your cakes are beautful! icon_smile.gif

~diem

jessi01 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the advice, and for the compliment Diem... I talked to the groom (this is a surprise for the bride) and found out they are not even leaving for the beach till Saturday morning,, So I arranged to have them pick up the cake friday evening.. now it's not ideal but at least it won't be sittng three days..
I still don't have the sps system.. hoping that really doweling it well will do the trick icon_smile.gif
This is my first cake in 6 months after having wrist surgery... I feel like Im starting all over again! lol

CWR41 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:18am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi01

hoping that really doweling it well will do the trick

Don't overdowel it or the cake will fall apart at each dowel just like it's perforated. Use only the minimum required to support each tier above. For a cake this tiny, I think it will travel just fine.

jessi01 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 10

good point.. thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%