Help!!!how Much Would You Charge For A Cake Like This!

Decorating By kupcakekingdom Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm by BlueBurd

kupcakekingdom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kupcakekingdom Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 12

This is a babyshower cake I was asked to do and I have no idea what to charge. I probably spent around $50.00 in supplies. I just don't what to over charge, because I am not really happy how it came out. Could you please help!

11 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 12

Do you have a pic of the cake?????????????
What do you usually charge for cakes?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 12

Is the baby shower cake the last one on your pic? Why don't you like it? i think it's adorable and very professional looking. I cant tell you how much to charge, always been a problem for me, I can also tell you that Im usually not 100% happy with my cakes even though everyone loves them. Im the only one who sees the flaws or the things that i could have done to make it better while everyone else sees a cool cake. again, your cake looks lovely, professional and very expensive.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 12

I think this must be the one, it's a baby shower cake and uploaded today:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1801143

Don't over-think this. Charge for the number of servings, whatever your base rate is, and then add a charge for all the fondant work. We are our own harshest critics. Set a price and then make peace with it. It'll be fine. The cake is very nice and looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it.

kupcakekingdom Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you moxey2000 for posting the photo, for some reason I couldn't. Thank all you guys for your prompt response. I usually only charge about a $1.00 a slice, which I know is not much, but I'm just starting out. This cake was for 100 people. I just really don't know what to ask for. Thanks again.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 12

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charge at least $3.00/serving for this cake!!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 12

looks to me like you used an 8" 10" and 12" with a 6" half ball on top for the rump, giving you an estimated 128 servings. Your way under charging @$1 and should be thinking more in the range of $3-$5 a serving.
May i also suggest you use 1/2" foam core for the base board, as you found out the silver board you used was not strong enough for the weight of the cake thats why you had another board underneath. Next time, ok? and just one other thing, you want your pictures to look professional so try to take a picture before you box it and use a backing sheet to block out everything else.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 12

How much did you tell the customer you would charge? If they're used to ordering cakes from you for $1 per serving, then you need to let them know in advance that you'll be charging more. Don't wait for them to pick up the cake and then tell them you want $300. When someone orders a cake from you, you should give them a quote on it...doesn't have to be right on the spot, but at some point between them asking about a cake and you baking the cake, price needs to be discussed.

I'm not sure the cardboard and the cake circle together are going to support the cake, if you haven't moved it yet. You might want to stick something else under there, maybe a large cutting board, before you try to pick it up.

kupcakekingdom Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you everyone, every suggestion helps. I'm new at all this and I have learned so much from cc. I really need to get the hang of charging, thats the hardest part for me. I love making cakes but when it comes to charging I never know what to say. Once again thank you!

for texas_rose ... I charged them $130.00.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 12

Just wondering how tall the tiers are? Looks like they are about 2" or so..? Wouldn't that also make a difference in the number of servings and price per serving?

~diem

kupcakekingdom Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 12

The tiers were 3" tall

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 12

I think it looks great - and you should charge at least $2 per serving. Put on your spy hat and do some digging with local bakeries - most have websites these days - and see what they charge. You should charge similar to them, if not slightly lower since you don't have the overhead (assuming you are a licensed home baker). Your work looks very professional and clean - this is an adorable cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%