How Do I Make My Own Stencil?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm by sweetcakes

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all,

I have cakes coming up to make and I was wondering what the options were for stencils? I know I can buy one and then use it with RI, but I am under a time contraint and the items I can order will not get to me in time.

Have any of you made your own stencils?
How did you do it?
What tpe of plastic stencil sheet did you use?

I was thinking that there are so many interesting designs out there in the scrapbooking sections, with punches, stickers, stamps etc.

Could I not just take say an interesting sticker or or stamp, put it onto a blank plastic page and cut it out like a stencil?
Would that work?
Has anyone done this?

I don't have a cricut so that is not an option for me at this time. Any help you could provide would be great.

3 replies
cakesnglass Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 4

You could use mylar sheets and a Weller pointed tip soldering iron (available at hardware store by soldering supplies) pretty cheap. You lay your design on the table, lay a piece of glass over that and place your mylar on top of the glass. You can then cut out the design as a whole on the mylar (use that) or make small holes seperated evenly as you follow your designs outline. Once completed if you use the hole method you lay your mylar "stencil" over crusting buttercream and airbrush over it, when you lift the mylar sheet you have your outline> ready to fill in the colors with airbrush or thin icing. Finish off by going over the outlines(holes) with #3 tip and an accent color. Wash off you stencil and save for another day.

Tea42 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 4

Good to hear experiences on this, I have been thinking of making some for myself.

sweetcakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 4

sure you can, you can use paper/cardboard for a one time use stencil or you could use sheets of plastic, like a transparacy or stencil blanks available in the stencil aisle and the quilting aisle at the craft store.
To cut use a swivel head exacto knife or a hot knife which will melt the plastic to cut, although this method you have to keep it moving otherwise it will melt the plastic around the tip .

Quote by @%username% on %date%