Questions About Blossoms...

Decorating By LuluSweetArt Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm by DianeLM

LuluSweetArt Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:48am
post #1 of 4

I am working on apricot and plum blossoms for an upcoming cake and I am having an awful time. They just aren't turning out the way I want them to. I have the blossom veiners and cutters, and am using the mexican hat method, but they just do not seem to have the shape or the dimension that I am hoping for. I am going for really realistic. Anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas or general advice that could help? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

3 replies
DianeLM Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

Without seeing them, it's hard to know what you need to do differently. However, the most common problem is the gumpaste is not being rolled thin enough. Also, using the ball tool around the edges of the petals will help thin them out and give them a little movement. Do you think that may be the problem?

LuluSweetArt Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 4

The petals are looking okay...it's more the overall shape. Does that make sense? They are just looking very flat and sad. I'm just not sure how to maintain the mexican hat and get the curvature in the petals that I am looking for.

DianeLM Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 4

Are you placing the flowers in a former while they dry? You can make your own formers by pressing a couple of plys of aluminum foil into a mini muffin cup or if your flowers are really small, use a small bottle (like Americolor gel bottle, e.g.) to make indentations in the foil. The less uniform, the better. Then, poke holes in the bottom of each indentation for the wire. You can place the former on an elevated cooling rack so the wires have someplace to hang.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%