Higher Cakes?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm by Shepsit

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:58am
post #1 of 9

Hi everybody,

When I look into the cake pictures posted in CC, I see that most of them are higher then my cakes. Please take a look into my photos, you will understand what I mean. When I bake my cake, I can cut it into 3 layers. But when i fill and cover it with fondant it still does not look higher enough like the pictures of the cakes that I see in here. Do you guys bake 2 cakes to have a higher cakes? I hope I could explain my question icon_smile.gif

P.S. I know there is a sticky post shows tutorials in this forum but is there any video / tutorial that shows baking the cake and layering it?

8 replies
soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:48am
post #2 of 9

I bake two layers and torte each layer. So I always have at least 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling. On occasion I will add a fifth layer of cake if it is a tiered cake and the sizes don't match up for some reason. My cakes are always between 3.5-4 inches in height.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:34am
post #3 of 9

I do the same as the previous post...I always bake two and depending will sometimes have 3 or 4 layers of filling....

Shepsit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for your replies soph917 and NatD.
So now, I have another question. Wouldn't it double the cost to bake 2 cakes to have a high cake? I mean offcourse it will double the cost but will it worth it?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 9

the pages I have seen that tell how many pieces are in a cake also say how tall the cake slices are. If you charge the same for a slice of cake that is half as tall as the recommended that seems unfair to the customer. I think that is why sheet cakes get less per slice-they are not usually as tall.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 9

According to every serving chart, the standard slice of cake is 4" tall. Anything shorter is not giving your customer what they are paying for.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 9

have you tried extenders? I know that that still adds to the cost of the cake but maybe will be worth it for you to try it.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 9

Most recipes generally give enough batter to bake two layers of standard 8-inc rounds (which it looks like you do use, right?) ... even boxed mixes (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, whatever) yield two rounds. HTH!

Shepsit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 9

bakencake; I didn't think of using extenders before. Actually maybe i just want to bake a real home made cakes that does not contain extender, but it may help, I have to try and see the result.

emiyeric; you are right, the recipe I use gives enough batter for two layers, and making them 3 layers makes the tiers very thin. Because I do not live in US, we do not have those cake mixes here. But I get the point anyways, I have to prepare 2 cakes and layer them into half and then fill them, etc. to have a standard 4'' tall cake as leah_s said.

Thank you all guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%