Higher Cakes?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm by Shepsit

Shepsit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:58am
post #1 of 9

Hi everybody,

When I look into the cake pictures posted in CC, I see that most of them are higher then my cakes. Please take a look into my photos, you will understand what I mean. When I bake my cake, I can cut it into 3 layers. But when i fill and cover it with fondant it still does not look higher enough like the pictures of the cakes that I see in here. Do you guys bake 2 cakes to have a higher cakes? I hope I could explain my question icon_smile.gif

P.S. I know there is a sticky post shows tutorials in this forum but is there any video / tutorial that shows baking the cake and layering it?

8 replies
soph917 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:48am
post #2 of 9

I bake two layers and torte each layer. So I always have at least 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling. On occasion I will add a fifth layer of cake if it is a tiered cake and the sizes don't match up for some reason. My cakes are always between 3.5-4 inches in height.

NatD Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:34am
post #3 of 9

I do the same as the previous post...I always bake two and depending will sometimes have 3 or 4 layers of filling....

Shepsit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for your replies soph917 and NatD.
So now, I have another question. Wouldn't it double the cost to bake 2 cakes to have a high cake? I mean offcourse it will double the cost but will it worth it?

deMuralist Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 9

the pages I have seen that tell how many pieces are in a cake also say how tall the cake slices are. If you charge the same for a slice of cake that is half as tall as the recommended that seems unfair to the customer. I think that is why sheet cakes get less per slice-they are not usually as tall.

leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 9

According to every serving chart, the standard slice of cake is 4" tall. Anything shorter is not giving your customer what they are paying for.

bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 9

have you tried extenders? I know that that still adds to the cost of the cake but maybe will be worth it for you to try it.

emiyeric Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 9

Most recipes generally give enough batter to bake two layers of standard 8-inc rounds (which it looks like you do use, right?) ... even boxed mixes (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, whatever) yield two rounds. HTH!

Shepsit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 9

bakencake; I didn't think of using extenders before. Actually maybe i just want to bake a real home made cakes that does not contain extender, but it may help, I have to try and see the result.

emiyeric; you are right, the recipe I use gives enough batter for two layers, and making them 3 layers makes the tiers very thin. Because I do not live in US, we do not have those cake mixes here. But I get the point anyways, I have to prepare 2 cakes and layer them into half and then fill them, etc. to have a standard 4'' tall cake as leah_s said.

Thank you all guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%