What Works Best For Brush Embroidery

Decorating By Babs1964 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 1:44am by CauldronCakeBaker

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:33am
post #1 of 11

I'm going to try brush embroidery and was wondering if RI would work better than buttercream for a beginner. Thanks for any suggestions.

10 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone want to toss out their thoughts for me , please! icon_lol.gif

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not sure why RI would work better- I think it would be hard to use because you need to do it quickly so the icing smears. Just my opinion. If BC works well ,why bother with RI.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

Royal icing is the standard medium for brush embroidery - it's very unlikely to dry quickly enough to present a challenge to doing the technique.
xx

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 11

I've only used Royal Icing for Brushed Embroidery -- I never tried it with buttercream. I use the RI on fondant-covered cakes so it will dry hard and be "safer" to transport. I'd be worried about doing it in buttercream 'cause with my luck I'd probably end up smearing it... icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

...Andrea

CauldronCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CauldronCakeBaker Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #6 of 11

Nicholas Lodge said at one of his demos that you put a small amount of glucose into the royal to help make it brush better and give you more working time. I don't know the amount you would need to add though. It was just an off hand remark that he made and I picked it up.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 11

I just took a brushed embroidery class this weekend and we added piping gel to the RI to make it softer and not dry to quick. I found it really easy to work with and you can also let it dry and then add another layer if you need

MomMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMiller Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 11

I'm wondering how this would work to do on wax paper and then apply the dried flowers, leaves to the cake later. Has anyone tried this? The multiple layer idea would look really beautiful. . . HHMMMMM I just may have to try this.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 11

I've never tried this but love the look. Can it only be done on fondant, or does it also work on crusted buttercream?

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 11

I have done it on IMBC and fondant. Never tried on BC, but mine doesn't totally crust.

I have thinned it with piping gel and that was really nice to work with.

CauldronCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CauldronCakeBaker Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:44am
post #11 of 11

I've done it with just BC, not royal. It worked in a pinch. I needed a tree to look like a sycamore with the papery bark and I use chocolate BC over white BC with a little water. It worked like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%