EverlastingSweets Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #1 of

Hi all, it's been a LOOOONG time, I'm actually looking for a woman on here that made these beautiful cookies with so much detail on them. She had one stained glass window one, a basket of lemon cookies, some cookies on a cake, I think she was based out of new york.
Does anyone know who I'm talking about?
Her detailing was so intricate, I'm looking to do that too.
Thanks!

34 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1471191⊂=1471196

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24220660@N05/2753852657/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24220660@N05/4010456293/

Maybe??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetsugarbelle/sets/72157618967771704/

Melvira Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:04am
post #3 of

Sounds like you might be speaking of 'my' Nancy from Nancy'sFancy, does that sound right? She did a giant cookie topper on one of my cakes... she does hands down the most amazing cookie work i've ever seen! She is currently in NY but not open. Do you need to reach her? I might be able to help!

kneadacookie Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:46pm
post #4 of

Mel, tell her we miss her work! and how have you been as well?

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:47pm
post #5 of

Or this one?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1228338

Melvira Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of

I'm doing well, thanks for asking!

The links that are here are to some amazing cookies, just gorgeous! My eyes want to pop out of my head! Nancy was the first person I ever met that did that sort of detail on cookies... I didn't know it was even possible. Now I'm meeting (or at least seeing) all these people that do it and it is just wonderful! It's such a laborious and time intensive artistic process, it boggles the mind!

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #7 of

Melvira, after reading your post, I also wanted to see what Nancy's cookies looked like, and she's totally out of this world. I saw why she's really THE ONE! Too bad her cookies are nowhere to be admired. I am very stubborn, though, so I looked and looked...and looked. I saw the Melvira one, and then I saw the King Henry VIII...amazing work. They could be framed.

NatD Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm
post #8 of

AMAZING! I agree these I have never seen cookies decorated this way,..she has amazing talent!

Melvira Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:35pm
post #9 of

Her work IS amazing, not to say anyone else isn't as good of course. She just has this amazing skill... it boggles the mind! She made some cookies for me when I was pregnant with my youngest, they just blew me away! They were for my baby shower, but she didn't want my other son to feel left out, so she made one just for him. I'm telling you, when we opened it... you could've heard a pin drop. She based it on a pic that I had sent her of him and his kitty Tigger and his room which is all traffic themed. She is amazing! Can I stop saying that? NO!! Hahaha.

Hmmm... was going to attach them here, but it's not allowing it.

EverlastingSweets Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm

thanks imagine for all those posts, but those were not it. Yes her name was Nancy! Last I remember of her was she was opening that store, her work is incredible!! I would love to see pics of her cookies if anyone knows where I can find them?

7yyrt Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:09am

She took them off.

Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:05am

She used to have a website, but took it down when she moved. She also had a flickr photostream but I believe she has taken that down, too. Let me see if it will allow me to attach now...

Nope, it won't let me... ARGH!

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:13am

Wow!

TracyLH Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm

Mel - I know that you are friends with her. Please tell her "Hi!" from us. She seemed like a dear person.

I agree that she is hands-down the most incredible cookie decorator out there. She has an accomplished background in graphic design and as an illustrator and her work was a joy to behold. I have always thought that it would be wonderful to see her work done as illustrations for a children's book. Of course, I always hope that she will be able to open a store again. I would love also to see her get the recognition she deserves. Can you imagine the response if she was on Martha or featured on the Today Show? Jaws would drop. Nobody can hold a candle to her talent. She truly is the Cookie Queen. Oh, but I digress... she does cakes too featuring her cookies. Amazing! I am hoping that she closed off her photostream with the thought of someday doing a book. It wouldn't even need to be a 'how-to'. Just a book showcasing her work. I would display it with my art museum books as what she does really is art - just on a cookie.

bonniebakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Mel - I know that you are friends with her. Please tell her "Hi!" from us. She seemed like a dear person.

I agree that she is hands-down the most incredible cookie decorator out there. She has an accomplished background in graphic design and as an illustrator and her work was a joy to behold. I have always thought that it would be wonderful to see her work done as illustrations for a children's book. Of course, I always hope that she will be able to open a store again. I would love also to see her get the recognition she deserves. Can you imagine the response if she was on Martha or featured on the Today Show? Jaws would drop. Nobody can hold a candle to her talent. She truly is the Cookie Queen. Oh, but I digress... she does cakes too featuring her cookies. Amazing! I am hoping that she closed off her photostream with the thought of someday doing a book. It wouldn't even need to be a 'how-to'. Just a book showcasing her work. I would display it with my art museum books as what she does really is art - just on a cookie.





I absolutely agree! while there are some wonderful decorators on here and flickr, etc., her work is truly art. I would also love a picture book of hers... I could look at her cookies for hours, I think, and still not see all of the intricate details she puts in.

GeminiRJ Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm

Ditto what everyone says about Nancy's cookies! True works of sugar art and in a class all her own.

Melvira Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm

GeminiRJ, you're in a class all your own as well! Your work has always impressed me! I sometimes imagine having a shop with you and Nancy in it, and I get the money giggles... as in... we'd be rich! hahaha. People would be like, "CakeWho? Ace of What?" hehehehe.

Melvira Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm

I meant to add... I think a book of her work would be INCREDIBLE! Again, not necessarily a 'how to do this' book because a lot of her work just requires a certain level of artistic ability that most people don't possess. But a book to just stare at in awe. To just flip through the pages and think... how the HECK does she DO that!!??

Did any of you ever see her Hagrid cookie? Worth it's weight in platinum if you ask me. Or...something MORE valuable than that! hahaha. And the super cool part about how she photographed it... in the grass with a tree in the background. Very well staged, just made it THAT much cooler!

GeminiRJ Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I meant to add... I think a book of her work would be INCREDIBLE! Again, not necessarily a 'how to do this' book because a lot of her work just requires a certain level of artistic ability that most people don't possess. But a book to just stare at in awe. To just flip through the pages and think... how the HECK does she DO that!!??

Did any of you ever see her Hagrid cookie? Worth it's weight in platinum if you ask me. Or...something MORE valuable than that! hahaha. And the super cool part about how she photographed it... in the grass with a tree in the background. Very well staged, just made it THAT much cooler!




Oooooo, like a cocktail table book! A book with pretty pictures for the express purpose of looking at and enjoying beautiful photography with a theme. But if Nancy did a book, I wouldn't be looking...I'd be drooling!

Melvira Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Oooooo, like a cocktail table book! A book with pretty pictures for the express purpose of looking at and enjoying beautiful photography with a theme. But if Nancy did a book, I wouldn't be looking...I'd be drooling!




Me X2!!! icon_lol.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:05am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

GeminiRJ, you're in a class all your own as well! Your work has always impressed me! I sometimes imagine having a shop with you and Nancy in it, and I get the money giggles... as in... we'd be rich! hahaha. People would be like, "CakeWho? Ace of What?" hehehehe.




I'm blushing! Also, sigh. If only people didn't look at like I had spinach stuck in my teeth when I tell them that a custom decorated cookie can't be had for $1.

Melvira Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:30am

Oh Gem, do I EVER know that look!! Like you just ran over their dog and they don't know how to politely tell you what a worthless human you are, and how you've ruined their life!! And my cookies are nowhere near your artistic quality! I can't imagine being as detailed as you are for the price people around here are willing to pay. Ugh. icon_razz.gif

EvMarie Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:02am

Okay, I'm seriously bummed.

So, I'm looking for some stellar examples of soccer balls. (I know...yawn....but I got an order and my last batch of soccer balls looked like fricken' steering wheels!) All I'm finding are people's pics non existent. I don't know who Nancy is. I must have missed her, I joined about a year or so ago. Doesn't sound like she's the soccer ball type....

However, I just wanted to put it out there: to all the great cookier's - thanks for sharing your pics. Those who still post 'em, those who took them off because of "queens of the snarky", and those who I've obviously missed out on.

I enjoy the lessons...

Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm

EvMarie, yah, unfortunately Nan has been away from CC longer than that. You're not finding ANY soccer balls? Or just not the ones you were hoping for? Maybe someone here could help you look...?

Here's a nice example of Soccer and basketball: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1515961734054302019GlNBqR

imagenthatnj Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:09pm

Some ideas:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetsugarbelle/4511939972/in/set-72157619389660964/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nbarinque/4894617709/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amatteroftaste/2701109118/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47100611@N06/4909063052/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/momskitchen/2463951447/

Hope that helps

bonniebakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm

I have some soccer balls in my pictures...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1739818

EvMarie Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:44pm

Ohhhh, I'm finding soccer balls but, I kinda wanted a couple examples to study. I compare my last "attempt" with what it looks like others have done technique-wise. It's a really analytical "non-artsy" way to go about it...but I want them perfect.

Thanks for the all the links....I was browsing very late last night and just got glassy eyed after the first pa-trillion pages.

bonniebakes - I love the look of your pink soccer balls...they have a quilted feel to them. Love it. I do love the "side peak" of the sports ball on the flickr option imagenthatnj....and the link you offered Melvira...has imperfect hex on the outer portions....but really, it looks stretched almost, kinda life like in that respect.

See, I'm a poser!!!!!....I just analyze until I get it right. I think I just found my examples! I really appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:36pm

I agree the pic I linked is very much not a "this must be perfect" representation. But it's fun, and fairly well done. I know what you mean though, when you just want it to be perfect, and even though you're the only crazy person that would notice, you can't stop yourself from mentally abusing you!! I did this gorgeous cake, a cross with white easter lillies on it, it was really pretty, everyone went nuts for it, but all I can think when I look at the pictures is, "There is one too many petals on those flowers." It makes me crazy! Even though I agree the overall effect is great, the cake is pretty, but that petal!! It's like the Telltale Heart... THE EYE, THE EYE!! Hahaha. Ok, sorry, I'll stop spreading my 'crazy' now! HA! Doubtful!

EvMarie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:55am

Oh, I'm so NOT the piper extraordinaire.... but, I'm determined to get it right. Even if it's just a soccer ball.

If nothing else, I'm learning patience & really....how to be nice to myself. I'm so not the artist like some people on here. But, I have a good business head. I'm much better at non-decorated types of cookies. I make a bunch of different types of specialty stuff. But, I still like to learn how to decorate cut outs.

No need to "stop spreading your crazy". It's refreshing, especially when you get to readin' some of these "tight pantied" posts. tee hee!

Melvira Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

No need to "stop spreading your crazy". It's refreshing, especially when you get to readin' some of these "tight pantied" posts. tee hee!




Haha! Amen to that! thumbs_up.gif I am pretty much the bane of those people's lives, because I'm heavy handed with the sarcasm, and I'm somewhat of a master at being inappropriate. It's not that I CAN'T behave... but what fun would it be? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%