Crusting Buttercream.. Can You Use All Crisco?

Decorating By Amy061810 Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 7:07am by sweettreat101

Amy061810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy061810 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 5

I have only done 1 wedding cake before. I used the Crusting BC recipe on this site for VIVA, and I had a slight problem with the cake getting hairline cracks. Not sure if it was the weather or what....It was on a thick cake board and wasnt moved at all. I have another wedding cake this coming saturday and was wondering if everyone uses this same recipe or can I use all crisco and no butter...would that help with the cracking?? OR is there a different recipe I can try???

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 5

hi, lots of people on c/c use indydebi's recipe and love it . Try that and see how you like it. She says to just beat the devil out of it.(beat it along time) ha! Lots others use sugarshacks b/c recipe and love hers. i have tried both and like them too. Most of the time, when i make american b/c , i use butter and crisco, etc. hth

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 5

Try Indydebi's recipe. And use crisco not the store brand. Since I have tried Indydebi's recipe that is all I use (yes it is that good). icon_biggrin.gif

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 5

Another vote for Indydebi's BC!!! You won't regret it!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:07am
post #5 of 5

I don't like Crisco in my butter cream. I used to use it several years ago until they changed the formula but now I only use Hi ratio or store brands that still contain trans fat. If you are using Indebys frosting recipe with Dream whip it will be fine but regular butter cream recipes turn out extremely greasy and your colors won't mix well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%