Fondant Is Rubbery! What Am I Doing Wrong?

Baking By RonniG Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm by Alysia1982

RonniG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RonniG Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
The last two times I made fondant, after letting it sit over night when I went to roll it out, it was like rubber. I couldn't get it to roll, because it kept shrinking back! This is not my first time making fondant, and it has never done this before. The only thing I can think of is my kitchen aid doesn't seem to mix the fondant as well anymore, and i don't know why. But after only about a minute the fondant is in a ball attached to the dough hook. I stop the machine, peel it down and within 30 seconds it's back in a ball.
ANyone have any ideas?

4 replies
anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 5

What recipe are you using? To me it sounds like you need more powdered sugar... Do you grease your bowl and hook?

RonniG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RonniG Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 5

Just he MMF, marshmallow, 2 tbsps water(or vanilla) and powdered sugar. I do grease everything. I tend to color it while the marshmallows are melty, should i not do that? I hate mixing the color in by hand.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 5

No I think that's fine. I do that too. Hmm... I don't know! It sounds like you're doing everything the same as I do and I have good results. I would try more ps. Hope you can figure it out! Have you tried to make it again since? Maybe you got a bad batch of MM lol.

Alysia1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alysia1982 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 5

I have been making fondant for over a year and have had this problem the last couple times as well. Im seriously thinking I got a bad batch of marshmallows cause I do everything exactly the same as I have been.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%