How To Cover A Bowling Ball Cake In Fondont (3D)?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 5:00pm by MissJezabelle

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 8

I have to make a bowling ball cake next week and wanted to know the best way to cover a 3D ball cake? I am clueless as to how to even begin. Help please?

7 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 8

I just used the 3D ball pan this week! The first time for a baseball I iced it smooth, and the last two times I've piped it with the star tip - see my baseball! The box comes with directions.

Not to sure if I'd trust myself to use fondant on it.. lol

For the bowling ball - I would carve out the holes a little - for where the fingers go! Everyone always ask my to use the star tip if I make it for them!

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 8

On tv, they always use fake styrofoam on the bottom half of the ball and cake on the top (for support). As for the fondant, that would be really hard not to get wrinkles on the bottom. I guess I'd just keep working it adn trimming as you go. Hopefully you'll get more replies. Good Luck!

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 8

I covered small styro ball for a baby rattle with fondant and it was hard at the bottom to not have wrinkles. If i were to do it again, I would try white chocolate MMF, I understand it's a little easier to smooth out with a spoon and hide the pleats. I also saw on tv, when they did cover 2 ppl did it and work real fast, they were pro's and still looked stressed a bit..lol.
Hope to see it ~ lets us know what worked!
Blessings

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 8

your best way is to use a fondant that is stretchy and doesn't dry as fast. You will have to work fast, and try to stretch the fondant on the bottom half a bit as opposed to just laying it on, Does that make sense? you won't have trouble on the top half, just the bottom, so stretchy fondant works best!

Hope it works out for you! Let us know.

MissJezabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJezabelle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

I recently did a soccer ball and it was HARD. I swore I never wanted to put fondant on a spherical surface again. If I have to do a soccer ball again I would take the time to cut out the individual soccer tiles and put them on one by one.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 8

I vote buttercreamicon_smile.gif I did this black christmas ornament and I had no problem with covering and smoothing the buttercream.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1640754

If you go with frosting, use a super dark chocolate buttercream (I use Dutch Cocoa) and then tint black. Or better yet airbrush it if you have one. I did have a lot of black teeth which was a bummer, but those were the colorsicon_smile.gif

If you do use fondant, I've covered small round objects and I find if I have much larger piece of fondant than I need, I can wrap the ball completely around it and then just "pinch" the bottom to get off the excess. You have a bit of wrinkle but it would be on the bottom. I would think the cake would have to be filled and frozen for you to be able to handle it without it being on a board but it might work.

MissJezabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJezabelle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 8

you can see the soccer ball I did. Since it was going on a tier, all the extra crap and fondant and cut marks I was able to hide.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1808671

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%